Back to protein shakes.....five year AFTER RNY?

Melissa1965
on 6/15/15 6:27 am

So let me explain. This last December was my 5 year anniversary of my surgery. With in the first two years I got down to 150 lbs and stayed there for another one year...then the bounce back weight hit. Now I am happy at 160. No problemo there  In fact, if I remember right my signature goal weight is 160..lol. I have not been here in a while.

Next month I turn 50. I have also been going through post menopause pretty darn hard. And besides all that had really had some cognitive issues. I thought most of it was pre-menopause stuff but after seeing a psychiatrist, being evaluated, talking about the past etc etc...I was diagnosed ADHD. Well, I started the meds for it and WOW! Night and day. Being self employed, I was not doing well and had a lot of stress due to my whole "executive functioning" issues. I feel normal for the first time in my life. I'd had ADHD my whole life but back as a teen it really wasn't out there yet. Every GP I went to diagnosed me as depressed. I NEVER BEEN DEPRESSED MY WHOLE LIFE! They always tried putting me on anti-depressants....Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin....you name it. Within 2-3 days I would stop the drug. Made me worse.  

Anywho...here's the problem. Eating. I can't eat. I tried the only non-stimulant drug for ADHD and my hands and feet swelled up like balloons.  So I had to go to the tradition ADHD route. They put me on a new drug that's a stimulant. My brain is finally quiet. My husband says I don't look like "a deer in headlights" when he tries to have a conversation anymore. I can finally understand everything and my memory is back. I try to eat because I know I have to...but I may not be getting enough protein. I always have RTD shakes (35 mg) in the fridge. Should I be drinking at least one a day? I am dropping weight, yeah I'm not complaining but I don't want to suffer health wise. 

what does everyone think?

HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
White Dove
on 6/15/15 7:16 am - Warren, OH

In your case, those protein shakes seem like an excellent idea. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jazzycatz
on 6/15/15 7:21 am - Joppa, MD

Ditto to the previous response.

If you weren't struggling to eat I would say no but since that is not the case.

Eggface
on 6/15/15 7:38 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Sounds like a great way to supplement what you are eating to counter the effects of the medication.

I drink shakes a few times a week... it's just easier sometimes and living in an area that gets triple digit temps it's a way to still get protein without turning on the oven. 

Happy you received a diagnosis finally!! 

Best to you, Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Karen M.
on 6/15/15 8:21 am - Mississauga, Canada

It certainly can't hurt. I still supplement with a protein shake daily and I'm 9 years post-op.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Kathy S.
on 6/15/15 9:50 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We are sorry to hear all you are going through.  Protein shakes are a great idea. I am 10 years out and I still drink  Premiere Protein shakes.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Melissa1965
on 6/15/15 9:42 am

Thanks everyone! Good 'ol common sense. But I do love the decrease in appetite. lol

HW 268/SW 255/CW 150/GW 160
JB1114
on 6/15/15 10:47 am - Grain Valley, MO

I'll be  years out next month, and I have one or two protein shakes a day.  My surgeon said I would need to have the protein drinks or protein powder in some way for the rest of my life.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

siberiancat
on 6/16/15 12:55 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I have a hot protein drink every morning.  I'm 6 years post RNY.  There are days when my pouch doesn't want solid food and I have more liquid protein.

Getting the protein in is non-negotiable.  There are times I'm not "hungry" but I eat hard boiled egg, Greek yogurt (without sugared fruit added) , cheese - something easy to fix and get some protein in that way.

It may be that your appetite "levels out" when you have been on your ADHD neds fir a while.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active