Fissure diagnosis. Metamucil sucks!

rhon1017
on 7/27/15 6:28 am - Gastonia, NC

I was diagnosed with a anal fissure on Friday.  I now have a compound prescription cream that I use three times a day along with Metamucil.  The cream I can handle, but the Metamucil, not so much.

Any ideas on how to get the drink down with out throwing up?

VSG on 04-08-15, Weight Day of Surgery 219, M1-15 lbs, M2-17 lbs, M3-10 lbs; M4-6

Chilipepper
on 7/27/15 7:40 am

We should never take a psyllium fiber postop.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

jgreenlee12
on 7/27/15 7:47 am
VSG on 12/08/14

Use Miralax. And the compound doesn't really work in my experience. Use Neosporin twice a day.

TimeForMe61
on 7/27/15 9:43 am - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Apologies in advance for the candid subject matter...

OMG, I HAVE THE SAME THING!!  I've been struggling with different treatments for 3 months now (ever since I have a bowel impaction at week 2).  So, it will heal, then re-open.  I constantly have to change my bowel regimen to balance between diarrhea and constipation because either extreme is bad.  I went through a 3-week period of some of the most excruciating pain ever... narcotics wouldn't take the edge off of it and of course are constipating.  I even ended up going to the ER because the pain was off the chart.  They had to give me a shot of dilautid and also Zofran.  So be really really diligent in treating it. 

The regimen that gave me 2 weeks of relief was a nitro-glycerin compound applied twice daily (nasty headaches but much better than the fissure pain) and miralax and dulcolax every night.  That worked for 2 weeks then I had a bout of constipation last Friday.  Ripped the fissure again so pain again but not quite as bad as before.  I switched to 2 dulcolax and 2 Colace since last Friday and the fissure is slowly (I hope) healing again although very uncomfortable (not excruciating).

I have an appointment with a 2nd colo-rectal surgeon this Wednesday at U Penn because I can't go through the excruciating pain again if it gets to that point.  I had ruled out surgery (first colo-rectal surgeon's recommendation) and am hoping the 2nd opinion will have something more to offer.

Good luck and please keep me posted on how you're doing and anything you figure out.

rocky513
on 7/27/15 9:58 am - WI

Ditch the Metamucil.   My surgeon said that Metamucil is not good for WLS patients.  He recommends Benefiber.  It's clear, it doesn't get thick, it's  tasteless, and it works!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

rhon1017
on 7/27/15 10:53 am - Gastonia, NC

thanks for the responses.

I went home and soaked at lunch and my pain has eased off some today. 

I'm sure it will be back in the morning after the morning doo!  HAHA!

VSG on 04-08-15, Weight Day of Surgery 219, M1-15 lbs, M2-17 lbs, M3-10 lbs; M4-6

hollykim
on 7/27/15 11:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

the compounded cream worked for me. Don't use Neosporin like one poster recommended. 

I was told to soak after every stool,which isn't always practical,so I could wash off with a soft cloth and warm water after every stool,dry well with a warm hairdryer and use the cream. 

My fissure healed using this regimen and I avoided rectal surgery. Make sure your stools stay soft using Miralax or stool softeners every day.

Most Active