Thank you for Before/After Photos - Bad Day - NEEDED these

crystal M.
on 8/3/15 8:49 am - Joliet, IL

The last time I flew "fat" I swore I was not going to fly again till I lost weight.  I was in pain from squishing myself into the seats.  I needed a seat extender but was too embarrassed and horrified to ask.  I was wearing such big baggy clothes that you could not even see the seat belt half way around me.  I sat there and thought I would rather die in plane crash than ask for an extender in front of all these people. 

That was in 2000.  I just finally went on a plane last year.  Believe me I thought of that trip as I took that belt put it on and tighten it.  Yep not only did it fit but I had to tighten it.  Yay me!!!   

Kathy S.
on 8/3/15 9:43 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lisa

Welcome to OH!  

We are so sorry for what you went through but sadly I think we all have been there before.  I will never forget the "terror" that went through me when I visited my Grandma who lived in WV and I saw I was going to have to get on one of the small 2 seater planes.  OMG, it was a nightmare.  The plane was built for kids.  I couldn't even get down the isle, and trying to fit in the seat was painful!

We are so glad the before and after photos inspired you  Soon that will be you and we can't wait to add your success to our photo gallery.

We look forward to your updates

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

iloveravens
on 8/3/15 10:00 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Good luck on your upcoming revision.  You'll be feeling great in no time.  

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 2:08 pm - NH

Thank you. You've had awesome results. Do you feel like a different person?

cspotrun
on 8/3/15 7:13 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I'm so sorry.  Your story breaks my heart.  I am so thrilled that this will soon be a memory for you.  Stay positive, friend...your weight does not define your character.

Karen   

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 8:02 pm - NH

Thank you, Karen. I truly appreciate your kindness.

MultiMom
on 8/4/15 5:11 am - NH

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that Lisa! I'm almost 7 years post op but will NEVER forget the looks of other flyers hoping that I wasn't going to sit next to them. Last October was my last flight and I happened to be alone with a window seat. There was just the aisle seat next to me where a much larger woman was assigned. She started apologizing before she even sat down . I immediately raised the center arm rest and told her not to worry. We started chatting about our destination, etc as soon as she was seated and I could feel her calming down.

After a bit she asked me why I had been so kind to her. She couldn't believe that I had been where she was not so long ago. She then started asking me questions about my post surgery health, etc. She had heard horror stories from family members trying to talk her out of having weight loss surgery. I don't know what she ever decided, but I do know that I will never forget what it was like having people look at me the way that they did.

I wish you success! (and never forget)

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Lisa09
on 8/4/15 9:40 am - NH

Thank you, Martha. This brought tears to my eyes. How amazing that you were able to be a blessing to that woman. The compassion and understanding from you was so impactful for her, I'm sure. How cool that could have been a life altering event for that lady. I hope I'm in that position some day. 

MultiMom
on 8/5/15 4:47 am - NH

Unfortunately some post WLS folks forget that they were once in that position and turn into "mean girls" (or guys). I will never forget the pain of the looks that I received, on or off an airplane!!

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Ihearttennis
on 8/4/15 6:47 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thank you  for sharing your story.  Be vigilant after your surgery and next time you will be flying in your yoga pants.  You'll do great!

Jen

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Most Active