Thank you for Before/After Photos - Bad Day - NEEDED these

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 3:36 am - NH

I am pre-op revision from band to RNY. Yesterday, I had to sit on a teeny tiny plane with a single seat, then an aisle, then 2 seats. Thankfully, I had a single seat but I still couldn't fit in it.  I did the sideways sitting, where my hips and butt still wouldn't go in. I was able to buckle up with an extender, but that didn't make me feel good.  The whole thing was a miserable, hot, squished, trying-to-contort my big body into a small seat, three hour ordeal. I know you all understand what I experienced, and for that I am grateful.  In addition, I was surrounded by fit, toned, people wearing yoga/workout clothes and felt all the more like a giant elephant who didn't belong. Yes, there were tears in my eyes. The emotional pain was crippling.

Anyway, looking at all the success on this board through the before/after photos gave me hope.  So, a big thank you to those people.  

I just got back from the hotel gym and needed to write this post and the song "How He Loves" came on, which is how God loves us with all our imperfections and all.  Looking forward to a better day, but dreading tomorrow when I have to return home on that same awful plane.

Lisa

Laura in Texas
on 8/3/15 5:35 am

Hang in there. Follow the rules after your RNY and in about 6 months you will never have to worry about airplane seats again.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 8:09 am - NH

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Your pictures are so inspiring!

Catherine-Mo
on 8/3/15 6:50 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I feel your pain.  It sucks.  There is so much hurt and shame because of our weight BUT God does not judge us.  He loves and accepts us just the way we are.  We are His creation.  Fearfully and wonderfully made.  I pray we both can see ourselves as God sees us not as we see ourselves or the world sees us.  Have a awesome day!!

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 8:11 am - NH

It is so good to know that you and others on this board understand this pain. I appreciate your encouragement and reminder. 

Felicity Q.
on 8/3/15 7:31 am
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Lisa,

So many of us have felt exactly what you went through. I think the worst for me was one time I had almost missed my Southwest flight and was the last person on the plane. Seeing the faces of every single person on the plane look at me as I searched for the last seat on the full flight was a thing of nightmares. Of course, the only empty seat was a middle seat between two muscular college guys who were friends. Watching them roll their eyes at each other when they saw me walk up hurt. The worst part was during the flight, they made grossed out sounds because my legs and sides touched theirs in places.  I made myself as small as I could to not bother them, sat the entire flight with my arms crossed in front of me and in pain in my back, legs, arms, and neck from trying not to inconvenience these people because of my size.

On the flip side, my most recent Southwest flight, I upgraded to business select and without me asking, the attendant gave me a note to reserve the seat next to me at no extra charge. I was both grateful and mortified by her gesture and cried then too.  I knew she meant well, and I appreciated that she was trying to help save me and an unknowing passenger the trouble of sitting next to me, but even the kindness hurt.

After my WLS, I am sure I will cry again on the plane, but only tears of joy when I fit into the seat... and thinking about my past experiences and how much pain (physical and emotional) they caused motivates me even more to kick my obesity out of my life!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 8:19 am - NH

Felicity,

what war stories!! People would never understand the emotions. I had read about southwest doing that and asked for it in May when my family went to Orlando. They were awesome and gave it to me in advance. I was so excited to avoid the issues but my DH said "isn't that a sad reason to be happy?"(he was right, but deflated my little bubble of relief)

im sorry these things happened to you too. I look forward to when we can fit comfortably and not have this shame in the future. 

Lisa

Felicity Q.
on 8/3/15 8:22 am
DS on 09/28/15

If I only knew to ask for it, I would have done it for years!

Pretty cruel of your "DH" to make a comment like that. We need to embrace the small victories!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

NYMom222
on 8/3/15 11:24 am, edited 8/3/15 11:25 am
RNY on 07/23/14

That SW attendant was being kind. Better than the one who approached me and wanted me to leave the plane because I was too big. I was sitting next to my friend on one side and the woman in the other seat (Thank God!) was like "leave her alone" .... Nastily they did leave me alone.... after that I always bought 2 seats... Now I don't have to worry about it and neither will you... Follow the rules and stay focused and you will do great.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Lisa09
on 8/3/15 8:01 pm - NH

Thanks for the encouragement and understanding. I checked out your photos! You look amazing!

Most Active