Commitment to WLS: What makes this different from the past?

losing_the_band
on 8/10/15 2:34 am
Revision on 08/27/15

I'm one of the growing number of people that have had WLS in the past and require a revisional surgery.  I had lap-band surgery 8 years ago, lost 100% of my excess weight, then started having complications and regaining weight.  That was followed by a rebanding in 2011 to fix a massive, long-term slip, and unfortunately, the I've never been able to use my 2nd band well.  For me, even though I now know that the band isn't a good WLS option and I've gained back almost every pound that I lost, I still consider it to be one of the best things I've ever done.  Why?  Because it gave me a fighting chance, and an opportunity to experience something I'd never experienced in my life: being a normal weight and feeling like a normal person. And it made me all that much more determined to get back there, no matter what.  Now I've got a second chance at this, and I can't wait.  In one way, I think I should have gone with the RNY back then, but in others, failing with the lap-band has made me so much more determined to succeed with RNY, and more aware of just how quickly and easily being thin can slip away without you noticing until it's too late. 

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

pec21
on 8/10/15 5:37 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Good for you!  You have a great attitude about this and I wish you much happiness.  Thank you for your positive perspective. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/15 1:51 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Before pursuing WLS, I'd lost 80 lbs twice in my life, at ages 18 and 24. Both times, I felt like I was starving. I was able to stay motivated by seeing the number on the scale drop, but when I got to about 200 lbs, I plateaued, completely lost motivation, and gained everything back plus an extra 20 each time.

All surgery does is give you the ability to not feel like you're starving on a lot less food, as long as you choose that food wisely. The diet, exercise, and lifestyle choices are still up to you. But it's a hell of a lot easier to restrict your intake when you're satisfied on 800 calories a day than when you're ravenous all the time at 2000.

Most Active