Just Joined

sumaire
on 8/14/15 9:55 pm

My doctor sent in an authorization request to my insurance company last week, and to his office manager's (and my) surprise, I had their authorization to see a bariatric surgeon by this past Wednesday.

Went in for my first visit today, where the surgeon told me he recommends the RNY surgery for me over the others. My BMI is close to 50, and he believes it will be the most successful option.

I look forward to getting to know the other folks here.

LINDA-U
on 8/15/15 8:36 am

I am new here too!  I am on my second month of dietician visits that my insurance requires ( need total of 6)  So, I am guessing my surgery will be January or later :(  I am getting the Sleeve , congrats on taking the first step to being healthier!  I live in PA so glad surgery is in winter so by summer I should look much better and feel much better.

AKD40
on 8/15/15 6:29 pm

I'm new here as well. My insurance only requires 3 months of supervised medical weight loss which I had. I saw the surgeon this past Monday and had my scope, labs, EKG and breathing capacity test on Friday. Now I am just waiting for my appointment with the psychologist on Tuesday and it will be submitted to insurance. Fingers crossed! 

Congrats on your new venture!

Felicity Q.
on 8/15/15 6:33 pm
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Sumaire!  Glad you joined!  I'm also in the pre-authorization "waiting phase" and anxious to get the approval from my insurance for the surgery. I will hear in the next 2 weeks -- then if approved -- I will be scheduled for surgery!!

Be sure to join us over at the RNY Forum too! Such a great community here at OH!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

MsBatt
on 8/16/15 4:10 pm

Be sure to also research a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. Statistically, the DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, especially for those with higher BMIs. It's also got the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. However, far fewer surgeons perform the DS than the RNY. Apparently sewing duodenal tissue is tricky---I've heard it compared to sewing wet tissue paper.

Ultimately, the *best* surgery for YOU will be the one that best suits the changes you can and will make in your everyday life. Be sure you understand them ALL before you choose.

Kathy S.
on 8/17/15 1:11 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

sumaire
on 9/29/15 10:00 pm

Thank you, all (belatedly) for the very warm welcome.

Right now, my insurance wants me to pull medical records from 2013 out of my ass (I didn't have insurance until April of 2014, because with all my pre-existing conditions, I couldn't afford it -- thanks, Obama!), so that's delaying things. My surgeon and his staff are all hoping that once the new year comes along, they'll accept things from 2014, onward.

Anyone here know how best to poke Anthem Blue Cross well enough that they pay attention and speed things up?

Roux en Y on 10/27/2016

HW 300 SW 284 CW 158 (4-26-2018)

Most Active