Doctor Questions

BankerBethany
on 11/19/15 3:57 am
VSG on 04/11/16

Hello!

I have my first meeting with one of the two surgeons I am considering for VSG surgery. I have made a list with a few questions to ask the surgeon but I am don't know if I am asking the right questions or asking enough questions.

I want to make sure I am choosing a well educated surgeon with the highest success numbers possible.

Is it okay to ask the surgeon how many, if any, patients they have lost from WLS?

What did you ask your surgeon at your first appointment?

Did you consider more then one doctor? if you did- what questions helped you figure out which doctor was right for you?

Thanks for any and all help! I am excited to start this journey but I my mind is also swimming with all the information I have found online and read on these forums.

The Salty Hag
on 11/19/15 8:00 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The surgeon I chose, at the initial seminar I attended, brought out his numbers and success rate. That was one of the first things he mentioned. It is absolutely okay to ask what their numbers are! If the surgeon won't share...I'd be out that door asap.

I only considered one surgeon, but now looking back, any surgeon in his practice would have been just as good a choice. He was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but in the years following my surgery, I tend to see his partners for my appointments instead of him because he's the administrator at the hospital where he performs surgeries-and his partners are wonderful too. I would not have considered any other practice.

I know I had a crap-ton of questions for him...but for the life of me I can't remember what I asked! Once you get further into your process, you will more than likely think of many, many more questions about the procedure, heal times, and the like. Just jot down every question you may have when it pops into your head, so you don't forget.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

White Dove
on 11/19/15 8:10 am - Warren, OH

Considering my age, medical conditions, and weight, which surgical procedure do you feel would be most beneficial to me?

Have any of your patients died as a result of the surgery and what were the cir****tances?

What type of follow up care will I receive?

What is realistic date for me to plan on having the surgery?

What pre-op requirements will I need to meet?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active