Struggling

Bigups2315
on 12/25/15 1:21 pm

So i am on day 5 of my clear liquid post op diet and its getting rough. I am getting real hunger pains and wanna eat things. Of course I know I cant, but the urge is there. I  sick of my "options" for this part of the journey. I have plenty of jello,popsicles, isopure (barf) , and broth. But my pallet doesnt want broth and is burned out on all the sweet tasting foods. Any suggestions to help get through this phase?

?The seeker embarks on a journey to find what he wants and discovers, along the way, what he needs.? 
Wally Lamb

Eggface
on 12/25/15 3:00 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Congratulations on your WLS! The first few weeks suck... just no getting around it but it is soooo worth it. Get busy, walk, movies, clean out your junk drawer... whatever it takes. 

Wonton soup with the stuff strained was a tasty change, bone broth (like these: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/01/frida y-five.html), miso broth, boxed broths but mix them... try chicken with veggie broth, beef mixed with mushroom broth, etc. make crazy combos.

Isopure was hideous to me too... mix it with crystal light and freeze it into a slushy. 

Hope a few of these help... but try and put it in perspective... a few days/weeks of liquids and mushed up food to be 100+ pounds less and hopefully free of some of your obesity-related illnesses... it's a great swap ;)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Bigups2315
on 12/25/15 3:53 pm

Thanks so much for those suggestions. I will be going to to the store tomorrow for those!

?The seeker embarks on a journey to find what he wants and discovers, along the way, what he needs.? 
Wally Lamb

supershopper
on 12/25/15 4:12 pm

Power aid zero, tropical sf popcicles, the other broth options

I'm on full liquids now till Tues, then I can move to puree

Remember you are not hungry!

Get up and walk!

You can do this!

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Dan1962
on 12/25/15 5:08 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

What everyone else is saying is totally correct.  Walk, walk, walk!  Just stay busy and it will pass.  

Nick S.
on 12/26/15 5:03 am - Detroit, MI
VSG on 12/22/15

Hang in there man! It's only for a little while longer!

A lot of people on this forum say hunger pains after surgery are usually related to acid build up or air bubbles in your gut that you need to pass. 

What works the best for me is having protein powder shakes and trying to just fill up on those. I feel more satisfied having 4oz of a protein shake and getting all that protein than I do having 4oz of vegetable broth and coming up short on my protein. If you can tolerate it, you could always jazz up the shakes with certain seedless fruits or flavor powders too.

Good luck!

Heaviest: 335   Currently: 190

VSG in December 2015

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/26/15 8:18 am
RNY on 12/31/13

The pre-op diet is the toughest part.  I swear.

I had my pre-op at the very same time of year -- and you know what?  One great benefit is that if you can do this during the holidays -- there is NOTHING you can't do.  Seriously.  

I did it.  So can you.

One thing that helped me was savory flavors.  I bought Chicken Tortilla broth.  OMG, it was a lifesaver.  It felt like food (it's spicy though)

broth

I also made my family soups and ate the broth.  Broth was a huge help to me.  

Good luck!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Tonya S.
on 12/27/15 11:14 am

I know someone replied you are not hungry, honey you are Starving! They only thing I could do was stay busy and keep my mind off it. 

The isopure is the nastiest fluid I've ever consumed.

I was able to drink protein shakes and fat free veggies. Try that and good luck!

" You will be safe in his arms, the hands that hold the world are holding your heart"
Most Active