Pre-op Diet Blues

CMR1075
on 1/3/16 9:37 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

Ugh....I think the liquid diet is harder than my divorce was lol. I am having such a difficult time of wanting to stay on track. I wanted to cheat so bad and today I did - I ate 2 servings of Wheat thins. It's only day 3 of this and I have 11 more to go before my surgery. I think it was because everyone else in the house busted out snacks to eat and I was just sitting there like "I hate you all right now" lol. I am trying so hard and my doctor requires protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a lean protein with veggies for dinner. I count down the hours till dinner, which I am sure doesn't help the situation. Anyone have any helpful hints or pointers to get me through these stupid carb cravings. If it were up to me I would be eating a big bowl of popcorn right now but all I can think of is maybe I should take my butt to bed so I'll stop thinking about food. 

White Dove
on 1/4/16 12:21 am - Warren, OH

Imagine waking up in recovery and being told that they had to stop the surgery because your liver was too large and the surgeon was afraid he would damage it.

Then you will have to start the pre-op diet over when you get rescheduled.

It can and does happen.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

RNY on 12/22/14

White Dove is giving you a dose of reality. 

You might need to get more creative and get away from those who do not understand your health is at stake if you are subject to bad influence.  If you are hungry - eat veggies before surgery, lIf you are not hungry - leave the room, go for a walk, put in that stuff that whitens your teeth, find a hobby, pile up clothes you will want to take in. People knit or crochet with WHITE yarn and they can't pick up snacks without getting it dirty. 

Show your friends and family that you are serious and mean business, that you are going to follow the directions that you are given, come hell or high water.  This is the time to find out the strategies that will work for you.  You now know one that doesn't. 

Sharon

The Salty Hag
on 1/4/16 4:14 am
RNY on 05/20/13

You've got it easy if you get one food meal per day! A lot of pre-op diets are all liquid. 

As far as the cravings go, I am sorry to say that you'll just have to white knuckle it. There's no other way to get those processed carbs out of your system.

Can you have SF jello? The hand-to-mouth action of eating jello during the day did a lot to calm my nerves and not make me think about the fact that I was on a mostly liquid diet. I felt a little more normal because I was "eating", if that makes sense. That simple action of putting spoon to mouth just made me feel...better. No broth or jello allowed? Freeze your shakes and eat them frozen. Some may disagree with my idea, but it worked for me. I needed that "normal" feeling, especially around my family.

My diet was like yours, but was 30 days. I did get two more shakes than you-and since I was on Opti-I could have soup and a bar once a day, and was also allowed to eat dill pickles and cucumbers ( neither of those happened because I don't like them. ). As pre-op diets went, mine was fairly liberal and easy to do. ( plus I'd killed carb cravings a long time before I was on my 30 day pre op diet. )

Lastly, keep yourself busy to keep from thinking about food. Draw, color, journal, go for walks, read...clean in preparation for being home after surgery...just keep as busy as you can.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/16 5:02 am

I did a lot of walking. Going to bed and avoiding the temptation would help too. It is only a few days in your whole life and then you will be happier and healthier for the rest of your life. You can do it! Hoping it gets easier as the days go by, for lots of people it does! Good luck with your surgery.

CMR1075
on 1/4/16 6:12 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Thank you all for the inspiring words. I wound up just going up to my room and reading posts on here in a bunch of different categories, which inspired me not to cheat as well. My family is supportive of my surgery decision but I don't know if they fully understand all. I'm not sure if I can have broth or jello in between meals, I'll have to contact my doctor's office today and ask. It doesn't mention it in the booklet they gave me so I probably can't. I know I have to give up a lot (food wise) to get the surgery and just need to find things to do when I get hungry. Tonight I will try some of your ideas when I am home from work and finally relaxed, that's usually when I tend to snack. Maybe I'll ask the family to do it with me and stop the snacking as well for them. In the long run it's healthy for them too :)

supershopper
on 1/4/16 7:10 am

I did not cheat on my liquid diet, I didn't want the chance that the surgeon would change his mind. Plus I thought Of all the money I had spent the past 6 months on dr visits etc and there is no way I would want to start that all over again.

Don't expect your family to change their eating habits for you. Only you are responsible for what you eat.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/4/16 8:01 am, edited 1/4/16 12:03 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You go, girl. 

Don't do anything to ruin your chances for surgery now that you have a date.

There is a website where you create an Avatar and then input your weight loss goals and it changes your avatar to look like you will look after you lost all of your weight.

If I can find it I will post it.  Someone has their picture for OH using this.  It is fun to play around with.  It is free.  This is the person who has generated their OH picture.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/5448422/Misery-loves-company/

Sharon

CMR1075
on 1/5/16 8:50 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Thank you Sharon0055. Everyone's kind words on here have certainly helped me stay on track. That looks like a pretty cool thing with the avatar. I think I have seen that somewhere once before. My doctors office has an app where you can take a before pic and shape or smooth things out to simulate an after pic. I tried that one out but it was kind of hard without making myself look all distorted lol. But, it did give me an idea of what is to come and I was pretty excited.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/4/16 7:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Liquid diets and divorce both seem like hell while you're going through them. But once you are on the other side, you will see that it was worth it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active