anyone have one and glad they did?

what about wish you hadn't?

needd to have one but going to wait?

thanks

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/22/16 11:37 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Laparoscopic what?  

Laparoscopy is way to perform a lot of different surgeries.  I have had a laparoscopic RNY and laparoscopic hernia repair.  

Can you be specific on what surgery you are referring to?

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

coreysmom
on 1/22/16 12:18 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Thanks Kat.

this is a diagnostic lap.

may I ask what type of hernia you had?

i have a Hiatel and was told surgery isn't necessary 3 cm.

really don't want another surgery....

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/22/16 2:21 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Truthfully, I am still having a hard time answering your original question.  It would depend on what they are attempting to diagnose.  I am unclear on what they are diagnosing, so for all I know, you could be asking about diagnosing a problem with a previous WLS, a hernia, kidney problems, liver, bowels, heart  -- and the recovery is different depending on what you are having diagnosed and how invasive it has to be.  Generally, diagnostic laps are pretty minimal, but without really understanding what you are having a diagnostic lap for, it's hard for me to give an informed opinion.

I have had a diagnostic lap done once for a fertility work-up.  It basically consisted of three incisions- one through the belly button and 2 low incisional -- and the recovery was nothing.  

My hernia was a very large epigastric one that had incarcerated my bowel in two places .  Once they went in, they also found a slightly smaller umbilical hernia and an internal one.  That left me with 12 incisions and muscular stitches -- so that recovery was more difficult.  Still, it was worth it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/16 2:49 pm

See Kat! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It bothered you so much that you didn't feel like you had given a complete answer, to a completely flawed question. It is an amazing virtue to have THIS kind of all-encompassing need to feel you've helped level the playing field for someone struggling for answers. This is not learned, it is loved into someone. Someone early in your life really loved you.

I appreciate it, even if I am not involved in the question at all. I think doctors learn a great deal from former patients of surgeries. You have forgotten more than most of us boneheads will ever know about this stuff. You remind me of my sister Audry, she's dedicated her life to helping autistic kids. Thanks Kat.

Ladytazz
on 1/22/16 11:02 pm

I also had a diagnostic lap for infertility, a lap for my tubal and a lap for my first WLS.  Maybe others, I can't remember.

They were all a piece of cake, at least for me.  I remember going back to my normal activities immediately.  It was like having a tooth pulled.  

I wouldn't hesitate to have one now if it were needed for diagnostic purposes.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/16 11:59 am, edited 1/22/16 5:54 am - CA

As Kat W said, Laparoscopy is an approach to a surgery.  Are you referring to having a Diagnostic Laparoscopy for problems you are having?  I worked as a surgical coordinator and these procedures are done routinely.   It is a way for them to try to diagnose what is going on, so that they can treat your symptoms either with medication or with additional surgery, if indicated.   If your unsure about having the procedure, talk to your Dr. and find out if there is a less invasive way to treat your symptoms without the Dx Lap.  

coreysmom
on 1/22/16 12:16 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Yes I should have been more clear...diagnostic.

MsBatt
on 1/23/16 11:15 am

We still need to know WHAT they're trying to diagnose. Ovarian cysts? Twisted bowel? Liver cancer?

Be specific.

hollykim
on 1/22/16 1:00 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 22, 2016 at 7:13 PM Pacific Time, coreysmom wrote:

anyone have one and glad they did?

what about wish you hadn't?

needd to have one but going to wait?

thanks

if I was having the symptoms you are having and wanted to know why or what was causing them,then,yes, I. Would book the first appt available.

Most Active