Caffeine question

timeforthis
on 2/17/16 6:39 am

How does caffeine affect weight loss?  I do love my (black) coffee, but I saw a reference somewhere that suggested caffeine might impede weight loss?  Thanks for any info!

acbbrown
on 2/17/16 6:53 am - Granada Hills, CA

Don't know where you saw that but sounds like bull crap to me. I drink caffeine in large quantities and have no problem losing weight when I do. For me it's actually kind of an appetite suppressant (mildly) so it helps. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

The Salty Hag
on 2/17/16 7:07 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I'm 2.5 years out, I drink at least two 12 oz cups of leaded ( caffeinated ) coffee per day, and I am maintaining a 140 lb loss. I use Splenda and either half and half or skim milk...depending on the time of day and calories already taken in.

I can only relate my own story, of course...but it doesn't seem to have impacted my weight negatively.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/17/16 7:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There's some medical research that suggests it can help with weight loss.

>> High caffeine intake was associated with weight loss through thermogenesis and fat oxidation and with suppressed leptin in women

Obviously more large-scale research would be needed, but if it made things more difficult, we'd have heard about it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Maria27
on 2/17/16 7:30 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Caffeine does not impede weight loss. It's the sugar that people frequently consume with their caffeine that impedes weight loss. Coffee is my go to beverage other than water because it has zero calories. It keeps me on track. There is research out there that suggests that diet sodas and the like are terrible for us, so I limit those as much as possible. Other than protein shakes, I pretty much limit myself to drinking water, coffee, and tea. I would go crazy if I only drank water and protein shakes!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

MassHockey
on 2/17/16 7:49 am

My experience has been that I drink coffee by the bucket and am still losing consistently.

Deanna798
on 2/17/16 8:05 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was told to stay away from caffeine because of the diuretic effects.  If you aren't drinking enough other liquids,  it can push you toward dehydration.  I switched to decaf for a few month after surgery,  but when I got confident with my fluid intake I went back to regular.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

timeforthis
on 2/17/16 8:37 am

Thank you all!  I drink one protein shake a day (with skim milk), at least 64 oz of water &  a medium (black) coffee.  I wish I could find the reference....I seem to remember that it had something to do with hormones.  Thank you all for your wonderful input.....going to make another cup of coffee.........

Grim_Traveller
on 2/17/16 12:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The myth was that caffeine is a diuretic, but that's been thoroughly debunked. Others say it impedes healing. I don't know if it's true, but it would be worth staying away from for a few weeks if you think it might.

For certain, coffee inhibits absorption of iron, so don't drink it within 2 hours of taking an iron supplement, or eating iron rich foods,

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

jenorama
on 2/18/16 12:49 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Like others have said, caffeine doesn't affect weight loss, but it can cause stomach irritation and ulcers.  After my RNY in Oct of 2013, my coffee intake increased and I started experiencing very painful gastritis attacks.  I did a course of Prilosec and cut out caffeine for about six weeks and now limit my intake to one or two caffeine drinks a day and that works for me.  

It took me way too long to figure out the caffeine/stomachache connection and I'm glad I caught it before it developed into a full ulcer, which when you have RNY can be very tricky to diagnose and treat.  Pay attention to your body, kids!  :D

Jen

Most Active