Still haven't gotten a surgery date?

Void
on 4/11/16 10:58 pm

I should probably start off by saying that I'm 17 and have been driving 3 hours to go to these appointments. The teenage program goes on for a 6 month period but I have been going there for 9 months now and I'm getting a little frustrated. I had to jump through a bunch of loops to get to where I am. I started at 315 and they told me I had to drop to 295 to be approved. I dropped to 277. I had to get into trauma therapy for a past event and I have been doing that for over a month now. They tell me that they'll keep seeing how I'm doing. But I feel as if I'm being punished by them for doing what they're telling me. 

I've heard the "suicide with bariatric patients" speech probably a million times. I'm very grateful for this opportunity and I am going back for my next appointment on Thursday but I'm very worried about hearing the same thing that I always hear. "We don't have a date yet but we'll talk about it next time." 

I think that they look at me and see a 17-year-old girl, not a lady who has done everything they asked and still has not been left in the dark. 

I apologize for the whining, I just felt as though I need to vent. 

White Dove
on 4/12/16 4:46 am - Warren, OH

You are doing what they ask and there is no rush.  Continue to eat healthy and build new habits.  Your surgery date will come.  The smaller and healthier you are, the safer and more successful surgery will be.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

chassibi
on 4/12/16 4:49 am

It sounds to me as if your surgeon's office is being very careful and deliberate with you. That is a GOOD thing. They could potentially just run you through their program and collect the cash for your surgery, instead they are investing time and lots of instruction into you. We all hear the messages you are hearing multiple times. Think about how long you've heard about healthy eating and exercise, probably all of your life, right? I know I have. I'm a registered nurse, so I know all of that information inside and out. But my behavior has never reflected that head knowledge. I've still had an over-eating disorder that has resulted in morbid obesity and the need to have a major surgery to rearrange my guts to combat it.

So, I guess I wouldn't take it personally--use this time to really learn with your head and your heart what you need to do to be successful. You are very young and have your whole life ahead of you!

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Deanna798
on 4/12/16 7:10 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I know it's hard to wait, I was chomping at the bit to get my surgery scheduled and over with, but the longer you work on you the better.  The time will come and you will have the surgery.  Stay strong and stick to plan.  You can do it!

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/12/16 7:21 am, edited 4/12/16 12:23 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

First, that you are staying on track in the face of obstacles shows that WLS is important to you. That is a key factor in your long term success!     Your drs know the stats and they are on your side. I have told many people that the healthier you go into surgery - the healthier you come out.  Stay on track.

Ummm - Just thinking outloud - When do you turn 18?   Turning 18 may simplify the approval process.  There are extra hoops that have to be gone through for younger patients. If they are waiting - make sure that your paperwork is ready the day after you turn 18 and make sure that your insurance will continue after you turn 18.

PS - I saw my first bariatric doctor in first grade (parent took me - all they did was give me vitamins) but I did not have surgery until I was 57.  That was like 50 years of diet frustration, so I have a small idea of what you may be feeling. 

Hang in there. Use every minute to get healthier for surgery - every pound lost makes getting out of bed after surgery easier.  Vent here all you want, but stay on track.

Sharon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/12/16 2:29 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

When I was 17 years old, I was convinced of a LOT of things. Not all of them were good. This isn't to say that WLS isn't a good choice-- but we tend to be impatient as teens, especially about important things with a lifelong impact.

As a minor, your medical team MUST be particularly careful with what they do, from both legal and ethical standpoints. This is a good thing.

There are lots of other patients out there who are older than you and spend more than 9 months completing post-op requirements. Some people just need an extra evaluation before the doctors think they're ready, and as WLS is pretty much permanent, it's almost always for good reason.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Hislady
on 4/12/16 5:11 pm - Vancouver, WA

They may well be waiting for that magic number 18 because you can not enter into a legal contract under the age of 18, like signing for consent for surgery or payment of any bills. Unless you are emmancipated your parents will have to sign all of the paper work.

They also need to know you have a firm grasp on the trauma so that you don't turn to eating after the surgery as a way to cope. Your body goes thru some very serious changes after the surgery and they have to be sure you will be able to handle this changing. Just try to relax and maybe ask if they can give you a rough guess at when you are looking at. Try to relax and enjoy the ride!

Void
on 4/15/16 6:50 am

I wanted to thank everyone for the reassuring words and support! Got back from my appointment late last night, and my "team" told me that they were submitting my paperwork to my insurance company. Such a relief to know that things are finally in motion. 

Most Active