Would like some advice please!

Hopefulinmyheart
on 5/13/16 6:16 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I am scheduled for RNY this Monday, May 16. I have been reading posts on this site and folks are so supportive so I thought I would reach out. 

I am pretty scared. Any tips, hints or words of advice would be much appreciated. 

Quiltingnonnie
on 5/13/16 6:24 pm

Being nervous is normal. I think everyone feels that way. Follow your doctors plan. Walk and get your water in. Be kind to yourself. Take 1day at a time. Each day gets better.  There were days I wondered what the heck have I done. I am so glad I had my RNY. I have more energy, much more flexible, off all blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds. I lost 81 lbs in 6 months. My only regret is I did do it sooner.

please let us know how you are doing. See you on the losers bench.

blessings

Hopefulinmyheart
on 5/13/16 6:37 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

Thank you. It helps hearing from others who are ahead of me on this journey. 

lykapal
on 5/13/16 6:26 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I can't give you any advice, but I'm having RNY Monday, May 16th as well! Surgery buddies!! YAY  

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Hopefulinmyheart
on 5/13/16 6:39 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

Thanks. Maybe we can keep in touch and give each other support. Let me know how it goes.

pammieanne
on 5/14/16 5:50 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Me too! Three of us having surgery on the same day!

I'm in Oklahoma City... where are ya'll?

I think being nervous is normal, although, honestly it hasn't hit me yet... maybe a little when I finally got my surgery date, but not much since then... I figure I'll be a mess come Monday morning! Ack!

I hope both of you do great, and we'll all be sitting on the losers bench come Monday afternoon!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Hopefulinmyheart
on 5/14/16 6:50 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I am in KY. Have to be at hospital at 5:45 am. Oh my! Let me know how you do. Best of Luck! 

chassibi
on 5/13/16 7:09 pm

I just had surgery on 5/2, so am not far ahead of you. So far, so good. I've been on this site for about 6 months preparing for surgery. One thing I've seen successful vets do is log their food daily. The daily menu thread on the RNY forum is a good place to keep you accountable if you need that, plus get menu ideas. 

Good luck to you! 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Daisydoo02
on 5/13/16 7:18 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi there, welcome!  Glad you posted!  I am 2.5 years post op and it was the best decision ever to have RNY.  Please feel free to ask us anything, its hard in the beginning and we are all happy to help. We have a great thread called "What's on the menu today RNYers" so come visit us there, we have quite a few newly post op people, you will get lots of ideas, make friends, get help and have some laughs.

Tips/hints/words of advice... well there is a lot but I will try to keep it short and sweet.

• Don't take a lot of stuff with you to the hospital, I was on pain meds and slept most of the two days I was there.  When I was awake I was up going pee or walking around the nursing station with my husband and holding my IV pole to work the gas out
  • Don't buy a lot of stuff (hopefully you have not already), I did and what a mistake.  I was addicted to sugar pre surgery and figured I would love all the sweet protein shakes post op, NOPE!  My taste buds changed 100% post op, I could not stand anything sweet.  So if you have not "stocked" up on things don't, get one or two of things but not 10 or 15.
  • Expect to be tired, expect to nap, expect to feel "what have I done", its all normal, and most if not all of use felt that way.  I took 6 weeks off work, so glad I did, I had a really hard time with getting fluids in and got dehydrated a few times.  I was very very tired, eating a drinking about 200 calories a day because that is all I could get in was a major shock to my system.  Its hard, not going to lie.  But like I said come here on the forum and ask questions if you need to.
  • Bring a pillow with you for the car ride home from the hospital. I live an hour away from where I had my WLS. My husband came to pick me up, it was a Sunday morning, took me 30 minutes to just get to the parking lot.  I had pain and had to keep stopping to catch my breath.  Got into the car and where the seat belt sits it will rub against your new incisions, the pillow he brought me was a god send. I pretty much hugged it the whole way home and it helped going over bumps and things.
  • It was close to 3-4 months post op that I started to feel "normal" again. I was finally able to figure out the vitamins, the eating, the weighing and measuring, the waiting 30 minutes after a meal, getting exercise like walking around the block.  I found it quite overwhelming and it felt like a full time job.  Now I do it all and its just the way my new life is, and its easy.
  • Just because your centre states you can have "carbs" like rice or bread or potatoes does not mean you need to.  The nutritionist at my centre at 3 months post op when I went in for a check up was pushing hard on me eating bread or potatoes.  I told her no I prefer to stick with the protein and lose my weight. Glad I didn't listen to her.
  • You will be successful if you follow your surgeons plans.  If you come here on the forum for support & guidance (and some laughs).  If you stick to high protein, low carb, lots of liquids, don't drink with your meals and wait for 30 minutes after you eat and take your vitamins.

Having this surgery was life changing for me, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I wish I had done it when I was 30 and not at 42.  Let me know if you have any question, hope some of my info above helps!

Best of Luck for Monday, do come back and let us know how you are doing.

All the best, Daisy 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Hopefulinmyheart
on 5/13/16 7:28 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

You are awesome. Thanks so much for replying. So grateful. 

Most Active