Should I call my surgeon's office?

z_m14
on 5/17/16 4:40 am
RNY on 07/05/16

With all my tests and PCP visits wrapping up in the next month, I'm wondering what the next steps should be. Should I call my insurance office and let them know that all my authorization requirements are almost met? Whenever I had my consultation, they never really told us what to do after we finish our six-month PCP visits and medical testing. 

For those of you who had surgery, what did you have to do? 

The Salty Hag
on 5/17/16 6:12 am
RNY on 05/20/13

My surgeon's staff did all of that for me. They set up everything. I actually never had to speak to anyone from my insurance company in regards to the pre op process. I basically just went where they told me..haha. Sorry I'm not any help.

I would guess a call to the insurance company would be the place to start if your doc's and/or surgeon's aren't able to run interference for you.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/17/16 6:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had the same experience as Audrey.  My only communication with the insurance company was when I received the approval letter.  I still have that sucker in my underwear drawer (weird!) --- I remember crying when I got it.

Off topic -- a year after my surgery, I called my insurance and asked for the name of the person who actually reviewed and approved my surgery.  I sent her a thank you note with a detailed account of how surgery had saved my life.  I wanted her to know that in my mind, she had been instrumental in making that happen.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Dee R.
on 5/17/16 7:02 am - CA

I love that Kat!!  What a very thoughtful thing to do!!

Darcy G.
on 5/17/16 10:34 am
VSG on 04/07/16

My surgeon's office had an insurance coordinator who knew the ins and outs of approval through every insurance company they accepted patients through. My first actual visit to the program was with the Insurance Lady who went over everything I needed to do to be approved through my insurance company. She marked the tests that I'd need to schedule and by what times(my insurance required different tests at different intervals... for some reason...) and then left it in my hands. There weren't many such tests, but I went through my family physician for those orders(my driving 2.5 hours to get to the hospital/surgeon may have played a role, since I wanted to do as much as i could of the testing close to home).

The surgeon's office probably has someone with a list of stuff you need. I don't think most have weird time windows for their testing, but they should be able to let you know that too.

I'm trying to remember the stuff I was to take care of... I think it was the sleep study(which I ended up not having to do because I am already on CPAP therapy and just take my SD card in for downloads regularly to show I'm using it and how effective it is), arrange for a barium swallow(upper GI) to show the anatomical structure of my stomach, and my surgery clearances--cardiac and pulmonary. The doctors/hospital faxed results to the surgeon's office, and they did all the rest of it. Even the resubmission when it was denied for BS reasons!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/17/16 11:48 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I never spoke to my insurance company (BCBS) directly. The surgeon's office had an insurance coordinator who did all of that.

Once I did my tests and everything, I called the surgeon and set up a follow-up appointment. We went over the checklist for my paperwork, did another weigh-in and answered a few questions I'd come up with, and they told me they'd call once they heard from insurance, which took about 3 weeks.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

z_m14
on 5/17/16 11:49 am
RNY on 07/05/16

I think this is what I may do. When I'm done with my final test and PCP visit, I'm going to give my surgeon's office a call. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/17/16 12:01 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sounds good! After all, the worst thing that could happen is say "oh yeah, don't worry, we've got it taken care of, you didn't need to call." Might as well play it safe :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

z_m14
on 5/17/16 2:24 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

Exactly! I just don't want to be wasting any more time!

Most Active