Too much cheese?

Kelly L.
on 6/11/16 4:57 pm

Do you  limit the amount of cheese you have per wk?   Does cheese cause you to stall in your weightloss?   I love it, but I don't want to over do it.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/11/16 5:03 pm

I have PCOS. I cant eat a lot of carbs.

So no, I did not limit my cheese. It is one of the only tasty things left in life that that FREAKING DISORDER didnt take away.

That and yummy lobster.

NOw did I eat POUNDS of cheese a day. No. But I did do a thumb sized dimension per day before working out.

Or a stick of string cheese.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Eggface
on 6/11/16 6:21 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I axed a lot of carbs (simple white ones) but fats I do full fat in moderation. I eat an appropriate serving size of the good stuff and am satisfied. In cooking, rarely do I make a recipe with more than 1/4 cup or so and that is a full family size recipe so my portion is maybe a tablespoon-ish.

I make cheese chips http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/03/healt hy-crunchy-snacks.html from time to time and those I'd eat maybe 4 (4 = 1 typical slice) with a dollop of chicken or tuna salad usually. Meal planning helps... if you sort of plan your day in advance you can see whether your day is balanced. So if I ate the cheese chip/chicken salad lunch I probably wouldn't have cheese again in breakfast or dinner type thing.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Kelly L.
on 6/11/16 7:15 pm

Thanks for the tips and recipe, these crackers look great!   I wannaa try them with chicken or tuna salad.   OK, I won't plan too many meals in one day with cheese to be sure i don't have problems, thanks again!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/12/16 6:21 am, edited 6/11/16 11:22 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had no probs with cheese early on.  Then at ~14 mo post surgery, I ate the cheese off a small piece of pizza. No prob for awhile, but 1-2 hr later while shopping at Macy's. I had to sit down I felt sooooo bad.  That mass of cheese was just sitting in my stomach.  I ate/drank nothing the rest of the day for that mess to work it's way through my system.  I stayed with grated cheese for a while and limit to small thin slices otherwise.  But that was prob my fault for not chewing as thouroughly as I needed to.  The cheese itself I think is OK.  But I use it to flavor, not as a mainstay of my protein sources.

Sharon

Spencerella
on 6/12/16 12:18 pm, edited 6/12/16 5:21 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Other than some brands of string cheese and low fat cottage cheese, I limited cheese intake during my weight loss phase because it did not meet my protein forward guideline (10 grams protein per 100 cals). Consequently, I used cheese as a 'condiment' - merely adding a small sprinkle for extra flavour on a protein rich food such as meat. 

Bottom line - in my personal rule book I think of cheese as a fat, so that means it's calorie dense and should be used sparingly during weight loss. Same goes for nuts. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Kelly L.
on 6/12/16 6:27 pm

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.   I always keep track of my calories in myfitnesspal.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/12/16 1:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Of the healthy things that are good for braiatric patients, cheese and nuts are the most dangerous. A serving of an ounce of either one is good. But they are both things that you can easily eat a ton of, and they are very calorie dense. Those calories add up, and you can halt your weight loss or start regaining very quickly.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kelly L.
on 6/12/16 7:27 pm

Thanks for your reply!   I'll keep a close watch on this, I am tracking everything in myfitnesspal, so maybe it won't be an issue for me.

northernjewlz
on 6/14/16 10:16 am - Canada
RNY on 03/02/16

I live off cheese, cottage cheese, baked brie, cheese strings, sliced cheese.  I never leave home without a baby bell or a cheese string in my pocket.

I make sure what I eat is under 20% milk fat, and I make sure I eat fruit regularly to make sure I don't get backed up.  Cheese is high in protein and is my favorite food!

HW:398 SW:360 CW:347

rny March 2nd 2016 Dr Lindsay.

Most Active