Question about cooking and freezing portions

April Parker
on 6/17/16 12:05 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Hey guys. So my surgery is Monday and I was wondering if I cooked some things ahead of time how long do things last if you freeze them in a ziploc bag? I know different foods wont keep as long. I dont have one those vacuum sealing things, so I will just settle for sucking the extra air out by mouth since that helps reduce freezer burn. LOL

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

SkottiRNY
on 6/17/16 12:19 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey April!

Well depending on your post-op care, you may be on full fluids for a week or two. Then pureed. I made regular food such as: creole style pork chops, lemon dill fish, and some beef. Then I pureed them and put them into ice cube trays to freeze. Then, when I wanted something, I would take out a cube or two and reheat it. Works like a charm.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Skotti

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/17/16 12:21 pm, edited 6/17/16 7:13 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My guess would be at least six months.

I cook a lot of things in my crock pot, then portion out and freeze them.  I bought some very small plastic containers that hold my 3-4 ounce portions.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 1:46 pm

For the record my crock pot lives in the garden.  It was VERY useful for making HUGE amounts of cooked beans ... yuck!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/17/16 2:15 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm not sure I understand you.  Why does it live in your garden?  Is it a decoration?

If you're not using it, have you considered throwing it away?  Or donating it? 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 1:14 pm, edited 6/17/16 6:17 am

I really DO get that cooking a recipe for four was a recipe for ONE pre op.  No you can't freeze it ... honestly you shouldn't try. The best food is FRESH food .. try cooking like a ( live and look young forever ) oriental . 

Speaking as someone who has THREE sub zero refrigerators filled with dated baggies of ( gross ) (old )(pre-cooked ) so called food .

(((much love)))

Deanna798
on 6/17/16 1:37 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Oriental?  Like in carpets?

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/16 1:44 pm

Lol .. no as in oriental grocery stores ( cheap lowfat fresh and filling .. with amazing sauce-and soup assists and beautiful cheap vegetables and meats )

karenp8
on 6/17/16 2:01 pm - Brighton, IL

When you live in a small rural community there is no oriental or international grocery stores any closer than two hours away. I freeze food frequently and there is no nutritional difference between fresh and frozen food. Most items are fine for up to 6 months. Just be sure to label with the date and what the item is to prevent surprises later.

April Parker
on 6/17/16 6:41 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

Well after I get home from the hospital my bf goes back to work. He could only take off for my hospital stay so I'll be pretty tired with a 20 month old. Shes a handful bit i have to take it easy. The main reason I was thinking of cooking ahead is for both of us. To make it easier on me feeding her too. Of course her portions wont be that small, nor will it be pureed but still.

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

Most Active