Ketogenics after RNY

Ruby_Trout
on 9/15/16 8:36 pm - Canada

Is there anyone out there who has been following a high fat/moderate protein/low carb diet after their surgery? I'm a long way out from surgery now and no matter what I've tried, I've struggled to maintain my weight. I realize now that my surgeon was perhaps too conservative in his roux length. However, that said, a Keto diet seems to be revving my ability to follow a calorie restricted diet. Is anyone having any success with this approach? 

Ruby Trout 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/16 4:15 am

Hi...I do... But relatively high fat. Some fat make me nauseated. Some - does not bother me at all. I had to indtroduce more fat slowly.  So popular "BPC on a Keto plan is definitely a no go for me. 

I eat fatty nuts, avocado, coconut oil, pork rinds, etc etc... I don't eat "low net carb" protein bars or manufactured foods (like bread or wraps) 

I avoid grains ..beans and other starches... And most fruits....but eat some berries. 

I also try to divide the carbs between the meals - snacks... But I still had to watch calories to lose the last 10 lbs.  Watch for hidden sugar/carbs in chewable vitamins, chewing gums, and packs of artificial sweeteners. All of those add up...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ruby_Trout
on 9/16/16 7:48 am - Canada

So this is working for you! I just started and am finding it a challenge for sure but worth it. The things you list are the things I'm eating too. Good to know. Thank you. 

Ruby Trout 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/16/16 8:52 am

I had to introduce more carbs once I lost the weight to stop losing...

really watch for constipation and muscle cramps - extra magnesium and the salt - needs to be added.   Carbs keep water in the body - so no carbs - we have tendency to get dehydrated - get muscle cramps - twitching. 

I use Miralax daily. Have to.  Good luck. 

Check http://againstallgrain.com/ I love her recipes...I often use stevia instead of honey or maple sugar...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 9/16/16 10:48 am

I do!  I really dont care about fat (i eat real cheese, real butter, real cottage cheese). Lots of proteins. Lots of Low carb veg (love spinache). The only time I really eat carbs (i.e. apples, pears, berries) is WHEN I am running. I eat the pureed fruit instead of cliff shots.

When running/exercise is over (7+ miles to haul out the fruit), I dont eat anymore fast carbs.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Ruby_Trout
on 9/16/16 2:19 pm - Canada

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.  I am active too.  I am currently at 40-60 km a week but will be headed for 60-100 again soon.  I cut back for August and I am ramping up again but I love to run.  I get so many mental and physical benefits from it. 

Ruby Trout 

Most Active