Apollo endosurgery...does it work?

Tri_harder
on 10/16/16 11:18 am, edited 10/18/16 5:07 am

Is there anyone that had the Apollo endosurgery to decrease the pouch size and stoma?  How far after the procedure are you?  How small did the GI doctor make your stoma and pouch? Do you feel any restriction?  

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY HAD THE PROCEDURE!  YOUR OPINIONS DO NOT HELP ME MAKE AN INFORMED  DECISION!

thanks, Tri

chris_ruff
on 10/17/16 7:04 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
On October 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Pacific Time, Tri_harder wrote:

Is there anyone that had the Apollo endosurgery to decrease the pouch size and stoma?  How far after the procedure are you?  How small did the GI doctor make your stoma and pouch? Do you feel any restriction?  thanks, Tri

when i went to their website, the home page advertises lap-band. that alone would make me run in the other direction....FAST. 

also, what they call "over stitch" sounds exactly like the Rose Procedure, which doesn't work either. 

its sounds to me like they take advantage of desperate people by offering procedures that have already been shown not to work. i don't respect that. 

from a larger perspective though, i think that the surgery and the size of the pouch are not the key to effective and long-lasting weight loss. the only thing that does that is proper food choices. one can eat around ANY surgery. its a problem of the head. not the stomach. 

--Christina
Tri_harder
on 10/18/16 4:45 am, edited 10/17/16 10:15 pm

I am looking to hear from ANYONE that has ACTUALLY had the procedure.  It is not the Rose procedure.  If you read studies, you will see a direct corelation between pouch and stoma size and weight loss. I lost and maintained 110 lb. weight loss for 5 years before my RNY.  I regained 20 lbs. to have the RNY because it was supposed to "cure diabetes".  The problem is in my huge pouch and stoma my surgeon gave me (because I was a lightweight) NOT MY HEAD.  I haven't felt food in my stomach for over 10 years!   1 year post op I had only lost 13 lbs. and it was a struggle to lose that.  Uninformed comments like this exasperate me!!!  Tri

Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/16 5:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Good luck finding anyone who ACTUALLY had the Apollo overstitch. Medical studies of the procedure show almost no long term success. Most of the initial loss is attributed to the pre and postop diet.

The problem is not your pouch, stoma, or even your head. It's the food you choose to put in your mouth. 

I'd bet you money I can eat a bigger steak than you. It's not about the size of your stomach. I weigh and log everything I put in my mouth. I control my choices, and it's really, really hard. But it is the only thing that works.

Good luck on your quest.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

chris_ruff
on 10/18/16 5:48 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with
On October 18, 2016 at 11:45 AM Pacific Time, Tri_harder wrote:

I am looking to hear from ANYONE that has ACTUALLY had the procedure.  It is not the Rose procedure.  If you read studies, you will see a direct corelation between pouch and stoma size and weight loss. I lost and maintained 110 lb. weight loss for 5 years before my RNY.  I regained 20 lbs. to have the RNY because it was supposed to "cure diabetes".  The problem is in my huge pouch and stoma my surgeon gave me (because I was a lightweight) NOT MY HEAD.  I haven't felt food in my stomach for over 10 years!   1 year post op I had only lost 13 lbs. and it was a struggle to lose that.  Uninformed comments like this exasperate me!!!  Tri

i get that you're frustrated, and that the RNY didn't deliver what it promised. i've regained some over the years and now i'm six months pregnant so my weight is creeping up even more. 

it sounds like you had great success with non-surgical weight loss before your RNY. so to me that sounds like you were able to lose and maintain with a "normal" stomach. if that's the case, then isn't that still an option for you?

i'm not trying to rain on your parade, just inject a dose of realism. another surgery isn't going to be a miracle cure. maintenance is really hard.

--Christina
Grim_Traveller
on 10/18/16 6:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

it sounds like you had great success with non-surgical weight loss before your RNY. so to me that sounds like you were able to lose and maintain with a "normal" stomach. if that's the case, then isn't that still an option for you?

Yup.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Yturner46
on 8/1/18 3:15 pm

Yes I just had my July 6 I did feel restriction after 4 days of procedure. I have lost 30 pounds which 20 of that was water wait. Now I can eat like I did when I had the procedure 7/6/18.

rocky513
on 10/18/16 5:56 am - WI

I never "feel food in my pouch".  If I eat so much that I "feel" it, I've eaten too much.  I never count on my lying stomach to tell me if I've eaten enough.  I'm a food addict.  I don't have any idea what a proper portion looks like or what full is supposed to feel like.  Weighing and measuring my portions is the only way I have been able to control my food addiction.  I have to measure my portion out and then I have to STOP EATING even if I feel like I can eat more.  The head stuff is the hardest part.

I spent a lot of years chasing that full sensation.  It lead me right down the path to obesity.  A full stomach does not equal comfort, love, stress reduction, etc.  There is nothing wrong with allowing yourself to feel hunger (which is usually head hunger and not real hunger).  Nothing bad will happen to you if you measure your food and stop eating when it's gone.  You have a perfectly good tool in your original RNY.  It's up to you to use it properly.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/16 6:18 am

I wish I could like this more than once. What you write is so true. We are lucky to have vets tell us the truth. Do we always like it?

Nope we don't

ladygodiva1228
on 10/18/16 12:47 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On October 16, 2016 at 6:18 PM Pacific Time, Tri_harder wrote:

Is there anyone that had the Apollo endosurgery to decrease the pouch size and stoma?  How far after the procedure are you?  How small did the GI doctor make your stoma and pouch? Do you feel any restriction?  

PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY HAD THE PROCEDURE!  YOUR OPINIONS DO NOT HELP ME MAKE AN INFORMED  DECISION!

thanks, Tri

I know of one person that had it done almost 7 months ago and she has not had any weight loss and is just miserable.  She wished she had worked her original tool better instead of having the overstitch done. 

Now she has issues eating dense protein and eats mainly slider stuff which is helping her put more weight on.

In reading your posting history it really sucks that you were told the bypass cures diabetes.  It only puts it into remission never cures it. 

I would have never gained 30lbs to qualify for WLS.  I would have continued to lose the weight on my own.  Hell you lost over 100lbs and kept it off.  What made you want to have WLS in the first place? 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active