RNY and aging

Jennifer P.
on 10/30/16 5:05 pm - KS
Revision on 11/08/17

I hit a big deal birthday Oct. 17. I'm 50. I had a lapband 2007 and now am looking into a revision to RNY. Is there any information about RNY in your later years ...like late 70's or 80's. When I'm in a nursing home and no one knows I had an RNY and I steal my table-mate's ice cream lol I don't feel old and feel like there is a lot of adventures left for me but I can't help thinking of later...thoughts?

NYMom222
on 10/30/16 5:54 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Oy. You are thinking way too hard... First why wouldn't the nursing home know you had RNY? Second you will hopefully be living life to your fullest in your 70's because you are no longer MO.

I had surgery 2 days before my 56th birthday. No regrets, onward and upward.... What ever years I have left I want to be the best!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Eggface
on 10/30/16 6:47 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

It is a weight loss surgery that has a malabsorptive aspect to it so you'll need to make sure your (LOL too funny) nursing home gives you your vitamins and monitors your labs annually for any deficiencies. You may or may not have issues with sugar (not everyone has dumping syndrome) but sugar might be an issue so steal some sugar free ice cream, yogurt or fruit instead ;) Obesity is one of the leading causes of death in the US so reducing that gives you a better shot at being around to be in the Nursing Home Talent Show ;) 

Best to you in your research and with whatever you decide

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

White Dove
on 10/30/16 7:35 pm - Warren, OH

My sister is a dietitian in a nursing home.  She told me that she has residents who have had RNY.  She said they are very vocal about making sure they get their protein and vitamins.  They are also much more mobile and active than patients *****mained obese.

Nursing homes have your medical history and employ dietitians to make sure you get the nourishment you need.

The longer they keep you alive, the more money they make for your care.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/31/16 3:31 am

If that is your concern - get VSG. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valapp
on 11/1/16 8:06 am

I had the lap band in 2009 and lost 60 pounds but settled in at a 50 pound loss.  Rocked along until late 2014, early 2015 when I started experiencing reflux and getting stuck and throwing up everything.  I found a doctor who was very good at revisions and had my lap band removed and converted to RNY in July 2015.  I was 70 years old at the time I had it done.  It was the best decision I ever made.  At my highest weight of 280 when I had my lap band done, I most likely  have cut years off my life if I hadn't opted for surgery because I would have continued to gain.  If you are considering revision, my advice would be to have it done while you are still young.  I wish I had done RNY for my first surgery.  If I had known all the problems lap bands caused then, I would have begun with the RNY.  I feel years younger getting rid of the excess weight.  Good luck with your decision.

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

Jennifer P.
on 11/1/16 8:22 am - KS
Revision on 11/08/17

Thank you for your reply! I am such an over-thinker, borrowing trouble for no good reason. I also wish I had chosen rny as my first choice, but I believe that what I have learned will help me be more successful with this next step. Thank you!!

Kathy S.
on 11/1/16 11:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

My only comment is tour a few nursing homes and tell me how many obese people do you see there?  NONE!  Get healthy, lose the weight so you will live to be 70 and 80 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Rhondahall
on 11/1/16 12:31 pm
RNY on 11/07/16

I am 65 about to have Gastric bypass the one you want!  I will have next Monday!  Will fill you in as I go!

if you can keep from having it please try maybe a vegetarian diets!  Lentils and beans...no meat maybe except fish!

Most Active