Gut and digestive distress many years after gastric bypass w/gall bladder removal

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/16/17 7:42 am, edited 1/16/17 12:29 am

If I ate what you eat - I would be in pain and sick as a dog.

i.e: protein shakes - almost any of them -whey or soy or vegan just hurt me. Salad? forget about it... cucumbers and avocado I can tolerate - lettuce onion - just kills me. sauerkraut? right- as i am  eating it- call paramedics so they can be in the house as the pain gets so bad that I am crying on a floor...

sorry babe, but what she suggested maybe be good for a normie - but obviously is not working for you. If you are going on with that for a few weeks - months - and you are still paying her?  yea... you may reconsider that. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MyBariatricLife
on 1/18/17 5:32 pm

Do you see a commonality in the foods that you cannot tolerate? 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 1/6/18 10:50 am

Halal have you ever tried the FODMAP diet?

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/15/17 6:58 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I was just going to suggest seeking out Hala, too.  She is VERY knowledgable and has a wealth of good experience to share on this issue.  I don't want to speak for her, but she often refers to having found that she has SIBO, which I believe is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine.  She describes many of the same symptoms that you do -- that she controls with a very specific diet whi*****ludes intermittent fasting.  

-- I hope she will see this an chime in for you.  More, I apologize if my information isn't completely accurate -- I am going off of memory after reading Hala's posts.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

MyBariatricLife
on 1/15/17 7:21 pm

Thank you very much. I do believe that I have spoken with her in the past. If it was not her then it was someone else here who is very knowledgeable and had lots of issues with digestive issues. I welcome any information that may be helpful. Thanks again.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/15/17 7:06 pm
It sounds like food intolerances or bacterial overgrowth. Have you tried to do an elimination diet to see if that helps? Or a round of Flagyl? Or both?

I have started eating "healthy" in October. I eliminated most fast food, white flour, sugar, etc. I noticed that the moment I eat McDonalds or some type of junk food, I get "sick". My stomach feels bloated and I feel lethargic. I didn't even realize those foods were making me feel that way...until I stopped eating them.

BTW I never found probiotics helpful. They tend to make me feel even more bloated.

Scott
MyBariatricLife
on 1/15/17 7:19 pm

Wow, probiotics make you more bloated. That is interesting. I posted my diet above in reply to Laura. It is difficult to follow but I did have a period where I was healthy for a few days. Wow, did I feel think and healthy and pretty! Then I ate some foods that were not on my diet and wham, I cannot seem to eat back to health. She said that I should give it more time. 

My issues are owing to the gastric bypass with gall bladder removal, prior heavy antibiotic use, prior bad eating habits, recent iron infusion, for the most part. These all cause oxidation in the body (think of your organs rusting) and promo t th growth of bad bacteria and inflammation. The plastic surgery is a contributing factor owing to the scar tissue. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 1/15/17 7:22 pm

I forgot to include use of testosterone. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/17 7:34 pm

Google SiBO.  Because of WLS - we are more prone to that and candida. I am sure I deal with both. 

Very careful diet - SCD and low FODMAP diet (google that) really helps controlling the symptoms andd the bacteria and yeast imbalances.  Once in a while when things get out of control I do get treated for both ...But I try not to overuse the antibiotics and Rx for yeast overgrowth.  Careful diet is the best for keep the symptoms to a minimum.  At the same time - that diet is also good to keep my weight at my lowest ...At and below goal. 

It is what it is.   

I eat meat fish eggs and some cooked veggies.  I avoid grains, beans, most dairy.  I eat low carb nuts, nut butters, some fruits (berries, grapefruit, etc). I tolerate some raw veggies - but not a lot and only a few of them. 

I found a few great sites with recipes that allow me to have real food...Even things like grain free "bread," "cookies", desserts, etc..

Some additives they put in most "foods" can really mess my gut up. Trying it out I was able to determine what upsets my gut and what is OK... 

Check againstallgrain.com  I use her recipes - a lot of them are really gut friendly. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MyBariatricLife
on 1/15/17 9:11 pm

Oh, yes, I forgot, I have candida, too. And I am dehydrated -- drinking 80-100 oz of water a day and I am dehydrated!!! I have to add sea salt and lemon juice to my water so that my cells absorb the water. I notice that doing that I am no longer constantly urinating! 

Thank you for replying, Hala. How long did it take for you to get your symptoms under control initially? And when you have a flare up then how long does it usually take to resolve? Thanks so much.

I have celiac and lactose intolerance. So I have been eating "Paleo" for many years. Add to that, I don't eat red meat although the bone broth that I cook nowadays is mostly from beef bones (ewww, I try not to think of it****asionally I will eat poultry but my mainstay is fish as far as "meat." 

I am sure the additives wreck havoc on my system. When I did Whole 30 it was pretty eye opening as far as the crap that is added to so-called health foods. I may have to resort to making my own coconut milk because Trader Joe's seems to be the ONLY band that has no additives. 

The diet that I am following (see my reply to Laura) and the supplements that I am taking should fight SIBO. Along the way I have had to learn the hard way not to deviate at all from that diet at all, and we have had to remove some items. For example cauliflower seems to ferment in my intestines and cause gas and bloat. So it is good to hear you have had the same experience in regard to diet. I am hoping that I will be able to eat normally again. My diet is so restrictive. Now she wants me to try eliminating the coconut milk to see if that is causing a problem. She also wants me to do an all liquid diet on alternating days for the time being.

BTW, there are some awesome recipes using cauliflower as a substitute for grain. And if you haven't checked it out, the AIP Paleo diet has gut-friendly recipes that may be of interest to you. 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active