WTH, Chipotle?

Fredbear
on 3/5/17 12:18 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

So I've been working a gig for the past month and I've come to the shocking revelation that Chipotle, for whatever reason, causes carb cravings. Every time I have gone to Chipotle in the past month, about an hour afterwards I get a really obnoxious craving for something carby.

I only have chicken (or sofritas) and black beans, so it's not like I'm carbing on tortillas or other crap, but I'm at a loss to explain the carb craving... it doesn't happen after eating actual Mexican food (sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but Chipotle is *not* Mexican food...).

Anyone have a similar experience with Chipotle or ither restaurants? What triggers carb cravings for you?

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Amy Liz
on 3/5/17 1:11 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

Beans have a lot of carbs and would definitely send me into carb cravings. I would skip the beans.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

4MRB4PHOTO
on 3/5/17 1:33 pm
VSG on 07/28/14

Higher levels of salt or fat? Perhaps the sights, smells and tastes subconsciously remind you of when you would eat copious amounts of carbohydrate rich Mexican foods (tortilla chips, burrito wraps, etc) with what you see, smell and taste?

Or is it those nachos, burritos, guac, etc, tastes so friggin' good? :)

Fredbear
on 3/5/17 4:56 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Nah, I'm actually well-behaved when it comes to Mexican food. I can go out to all my old haunts and be perfectly happy with a very bariatric-friendly meal and not have this problem.

Then again, Chipotle was never on my list... I live in a city with actual Mexican food and Chipotle is just a white-bread knock off for the gabachos. When I have to travel to the cultural wasteland of the suburbs, though, Chipotle is about the only bariatric-friendly choice that's not nasty fast food crap, and where I don't have to pick through an overpriced non-BF meal.

SarahSmiles94
on 3/5/17 1:47 pm
RNY on 03/30/17

If you look online at their nutritional listings, their products are chuck full of sodium. Perhaps this is causing the cravings?

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/17 3:05 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I can relate. Last night I went out for dinner and had carb cravings not too long after coming home. I had to think for a bit what may have triggered the cravings and then I figured it out ... I had a couple of my husband's french fries. Otherwise I ate lean protein and green veggies. To curb the cravings I had a couple bites of cottage cheese.

Fredbear
on 3/5/17 4:50 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I agree, cottage cheese really helps kill my carb cravings!

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/17 3:16 pm - CA

Its the beans. Skip the beans, add in some veggies (onions/bell peppers or lettuce) and stick with the sofritas and chicken and you should see a big difference!

Fredbear
on 3/5/17 4:48 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I would buy this, but I literally have black beans all the time elsewhere with no apparent effect at all.

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/17 5:06 pm - CA

It might be something else in the Chipolte that is triggering you. Beans are a huge trigger for me and I know a few others have had the same experience. I love beans, but only eat them from time to time in one of my crock pot dishes I make. I find myself eating more and more of the dish, later on when beans are involved.

Most Active