7 years out

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/29/17 4:21 pm - Belleville, IL

I had RNY Surgery 7 years ago in June of 2010. I NEVER regretted it once. Yes, there indeed are a lot of "mind games" you have to get over and you have to make the surgery work for you...It is JUST a TOOL, not truly something that will never make you "Not hungry" or "Solve your problems with food"....You get about 2-3 years of the Tool helping you, but if you don't work to make it work (Your weight loss) than you CAN eat around it and gain weight back... Also ONLY RNY Surgery people "Dump" and don't "count" on that to solve your problem either.

Using excuses of "Well I can have two donuts 3-4 years out" or Hey I don't dump on this Hershey Bar or Mmmmm, McDonald's is a GOOD fast food once in awhile is the wrong attitude to have with your tool.

No one is telling you too "suffer" you just have to be smart. Have a piece of fried chicken I find a drumstick or thigh to be good and very pouch friendly. However having huge amounts of food, or lots of SUGARY food (Baked goods, etc, anything with a Sugar of over 7 grams per serving) is NOT good.

Now, many people want to hear from people who have been way out there (Over many years)...Yes, I still lost the weight. I went from 300 lbs to 110 lbs and FINALLY brought up my weight to a healthy 129 lbs.

You MUST become your own Doctor/Nurse/Advocate because the one thing I learned is that 99% of normal hospitals know LITTLE to nothing about bariatric surgery and what we require. Even though I am NOT diabetic I tell them I am, so they don't dump 33 grams of sugar in me or feed me regular food and jello or fruit juice with full sugar...Very bad. As you get further OUT from your surgery you will get different sets of medical problems. Things like Gallstone or liver problems, things like Pancreatic problems or things like problems in your rewired intestines. You can get Reactive Hypoglycemia which is basically what diabetics get when they drop down in blood sugar OR don't eat proper meals (You MUST eat at least 4 small meals a day, even if two of them are low sugar/ diabetic Glucerna, etc) PROTEIN is always your number 1 food choice, veggies number two and grains like Quinoa, wild rice mix, etc Okay. Sweet potatoes are good, regular potatoes NOT as good. Anything like french fries or fried/cooked corn tortillas NOT so good.

Now, I am a little different. I had a load of medical problems from Reactive Hypoglycemia to Epilepsy to having to have feeding tubes and stents (ECRP) and nearly dyeing twice. Some of it was from the surgery some was just my body having autoimmune problems. I STILL WOULD HAVE THE SURGERY AGAIN! And I would still pick RNY surgery.

I still have epilepsy, some dementia/Alzheimer and some pancreatitis problems as well as RH. I do not blame the surgery but myself for NOT being a good advocate...I let my Iron and Ferritin drop to below 3. After 4 transfusions I am a new person. After my stents in my pancreas and liver (I had Sphincter of Oddi Disorder) I feel MUCH better and with proper medicine my seizures are well controlled. Again, the surgery was NOT responsible for all my problems it just took awhile to get everything under control. Before surgery, I had severe autoimmune disease and was told I had 4 years to live. I hurt every day and saw a MONSTER in the mirror. NOW I feel human again and can do the things I loved doing before.

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/29/17 4:22 pm - Belleville, IL

I am trying to post before and after pics, which I have here on OH, but cannot figure out how. :(

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/29/17 4:23 pm - Belleville, IL

Figured it out now! LOL!

* Nicole *
on 3/30/17 6:13 am

Off topic but former "plastic crack" (gateway drug) junkie here aka Breyer collector. So yeah I noticed the Breyers and Peter Stones, lol. I still have about 100 myself but sold the other 2/3rds of the collection to fund my real ponies, lol.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 3/30/17 3:24 pm - Belleville, IL

Yeah Nicole! I have Breyers, Peter Stones, Customs as well as Resins. PM me in private if you are ever looking for something. I have some really nice high end Show Winners ;) (Looking to sell)

Warmly,

Jackie

Dundreggen
on 3/31/17 10:34 am - Canada

Add me to the group who was 'oooh look briars'. I only have two but I admire lots (we sell them where I work). And cute dog!

Looking great!

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

* Nicole *
on 3/31/17 1:44 pm

LOL

Plastic crack, lol. But I have gotten rid of that addiction ever since the quality took a horrid nose dive. Plus 6 real ponies are more fun, lol

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Dundreggen
on 3/31/17 1:51 pm - Canada

Sadly I had to sell all my ponies :( Divorce and moving to the city. I used to breed/train/teach etc. Now I just have Valegro and Totilas on my entertainment unit.

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Sabrina J.
on 3/29/17 4:33 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Great information, I love the being real, congrats!!

Rosemi
on 3/29/17 5:44 pm

Great important information... I had my rny about 12 years ago... I have RH and need to be very careful about sugar/carb eating...I'm going to have my medical bracelet changed and add diabetes ..love your pictures and what sounds like a very positive attitude about your life decisions....

Most Active