'Wellness programs '

mute
on 4/21/17 11:38 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I had a general meeting at work today and we had our insurance people come in and talk about a wellness program.

I tend to think these are complete bull**** used by them to try to track the employee in more ways and to try to get them to give the company more health information than necessary. So that they can then use it against the employee. Which omg sounds so conspiracy notice when I wrote it out like that...

I used to not qualify for **** because my BMI was significantly too high at 63. Now I don't qualify for this program because my bmi is a 22 lol! That really made me laugh.

They claim this program is not tied to anything. That it's purely to encourage employees to get healthier, eat healthier, and to lose weight.

Am I being unreasonable by automatically assuming the worst here?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

peachpie
on 4/21/17 12:12 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I don't know how your program is structured, but I think your assuming the worst. Our wellness program requires us to earn 100 wellness points, and we have a few methods to do it (going to the gym, x # of steps, nutritionist visit, veggie co-op participatin, dental/blood screenings, smoking cessation, health survey etc). No one is excluded from our program- the goal is for people become more aware of their heath status by 'forcing' them to get this info. It's amazing how many people don't use their health plans! With our wellness plans, if you don't participate you pay a higher contribution for your coverage. Smokers also pay a higher rate. I like how they've modeled our plans- and think it's brought to a lot of people's attention the need to at least be informed of their health status...

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

mute
on 4/21/17 1:04 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Ooh, I think that's actually worse if you're punished if you don't use it.

I've been part of programs with insurance companies in the past that had that kind of system and you were penalized if you didn't enroll. As someone with a genetic disorder that has been in the past and will definitely be in the future discriminated against by insurance I have an issue with my insurance company gathering certain information on me unless I would like them to have it. So to then be financially penalized - I have a big problem with it.

peachpie
on 4/21/17 1:15 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Ours isn't run by the insurance company-- it's a third party administrator.

But I have my suspicions about if the info gets back to the insurance company somehow. They say it's doesn't.

We pay so little for healthcare in gov't that having to pay 'extra' still pales in comparison to what those in private industry pay.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/21/17 12:37 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Ours is like this, too -- and I don't qualify either due to my BMI being "normal" --

I sat in on one of the "healthy eating" groups and surprise surprise: it was all outdated food pyramid **** from years ago -- you know, "low fat" and eating plenty of "whole grains" ****

They actually have a competition for weight loss, too -- and they don't separate male from female -- nor by severity of weight problem. So, as you can imagine, someone who has a 100 pounds to lose that is male is always going to win. In fact, last time it was a man who had recently had the sleeve surgery done -- which I thought was completely unfair to the rest of the participants.

There is also a Type II diabetes thing, too.

They do document weight/bmi/etc -- as well as submit to smoking cessation groups -- etc.

I also think it's giving more information to my employer than I'd feel comfortable giving. JMHO.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gwen M.
on 4/21/17 1:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If it truly were about health and wellness, everyone should have access to the program and it wouldn't be tied to BMI :/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ginnny
on 4/21/17 1:06 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

It sounds discriminatory to me....there are laws against that!

mute
on 4/21/17 1:14 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm actually in HR and it's not discriminatory. I just personally don't agree with it.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/21/17 1:09 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm on our company's "Working on Wellness" committee, and our program (tied in with BCBS) isn't insidious at all (IMO).

To participate in some of the program activities, you need to provide health information to the insurance company. However, BCBS is prohibited from sharing individual data with the workplace. At year end, my company gets an overall summary of participating individuals' health scores and the top 5 health concerns, but nothing linked to specific people.

There's also some legal information that says that information you provide to the wellness program may NOT be used to make any decisions related to coverage. They can use it, with my permission, to send me information on various health stuff (asthma management programs, etc.), but it has zero interaction with claim status, and I'm pretty sure there's something legal involved to prevent it.

I can understand being concerned about improper sharing of information, but I don't know that you need to automatically assume nefarious intent.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mute
on 4/21/17 1:15 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Yours sounds very well put together!

Most Active