Switching surgeries

bruindiva92
on 6/5/17 2:01 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I'll put my 2 cents in:

I was so excited when I had my VSG--100% happy with my decision. If you have to work on being "happy" with your decision, then maybe you should have RNY. This isn't decided until you lie on the surgical table and have VSG.

You can control your Vitamin D and Calcium levels with supplements, as you know. I would not let this dissuade me from the RNY--you have to stay on top of your vitamins and make them part of your daily routine.

The possibility of GERD is very real. Coming from someone who did not have GERD prior to VSG and then developed severe bile reflux 1 year out, this is no joke. I did revise to RNY in March 2017 and feel 100% better.

All I am saying, is be 100% sure you are 100% happy with this decision. If not, go back and have further discussion(s) with the surgeon.

I wish you much success with whatever you choose.

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 6/5/17 2:11 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I'm 9 months out from VSG and had very minimal to no Gerd before sleeve. I feel your pain as I am experiencing it right now. The esophagus swelling and waking up with this coughing/ choking feeling is the worst part about it. I see my Surgeon tomorrow and I'm gonna push for revision since Two PPI's, carafate and bland diet arent working.

bruindiva92
on 6/5/17 2:20 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

I know that feeling oh too well. I would wake with acid in my mouth most mornings. I was taking 3 PPI's daily with no relief. You may need to sleep sitting up or at an angle with a wedge pillow.

Definitely see your surgeon and feel better!

Laura in Texas
on 6/6/17 7:49 am

Raise the top of your bed until you get relief. You can use bed risers or deck blocks. My dad had to do this after he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/6/17 4:28 am - Burleson, TX

Just curious--were you told--at all--prior to VSG--about the possibility of GERD? My sleeved DIL was NOT-and her surgeon actually acted SURPRISED, that she would ask...but WE educated HIM :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

bruindiva92
on 6/6/17 7:57 am
Revision on 03/29/17

Yes,

I was informed about the possibility of GERD--my surgical team was very thorough. Even told about possible revision due to GERD.

What surprised me was the inability to drink plain water. As of today, I still can't drink plain water--regardless of type and temperature. Makes me feel horrible. So I do crystal light.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 6/6/17 12:13 pm - Burleson, TX

I can't tolerate plain water, either...makes me very nauseated--and I don't have real GERD, or a sleeve..lol..

GRIM has a great explanation, about pH of our guts vs pH of tap water, etc, etc...Crystal Light changes the water, making it easier for our guts to tolerate (in simple terms I can understand)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

OutsideMatchInside
on 6/6/17 11:45 am
VSG on 07/15/15

I knew about it before I saw the Dr because I did my research before visiting him.

He also asked me about it very diligently in appointments.

It was worth the risk to me to roll the dice on GERD because I was never going to have RNY willingly.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/17 4:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

>> I guess this means I will just have to be extra vigilant.

No, not really. Malabsorption with RNY is not permanent, so patients with BOTH surgeries need to pay equal attention to what they eat.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jakosaurus
on 6/6/17 5:15 am
VSG on 08/07/17

I appreciate all of the information everyone. I am putting in a call to my surgeon to see about coming back to discuss some of this some more. I have to admit when we talked in the office he made a lot of sense, but posting here and seeing everyone's reaction that this is not a normal reason I definitely want some more info.

I talked to my wife about it as well and I realize that pinning my hopes on the "faster" weight loss with RNY was a mistake to begin with. I need to get more in the mindset of surgery as a tool not a end solution. So maybe all of the confusion here will help with that as well.

Anyway thanks again for all the help. This board has been huge in getting me to where I am now for preparing and understanding all of this confusing medical stuff. :)

HW: 332

SW: TBD

CW: 306.7

GW: 175

MFP Username: Jakosaurus82

Most Active