Vegan? After WLS

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/7/17 7:59 am

I do not have heart issue. That is one thing that so far works great.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ladygodiva1228
on 8/7/17 6:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

This is great information. I did not know that the trans fats and such can contribute to inflammation in our bodies. I mostly use olive or coconut oil, but there are times that I do use vegetable oils.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Vegbeth
on 8/7/17 8:22 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Hello! Long time vegan here (almost 20 years). I've been obese, overweight and now at healthy weight all as a vegan. I'm a complete newbie here in the bariatric world, but lost all of my weight pre and post surgery as a vegan. It does require some vigilance and I always carry my food with me when I'm out for the day. But from what I read and see with other bariatric patients they also mostly carry their food. I eat fairly (always less than 100grams, mostly less than 50grams) low carb, 70-80 grams of protein a day and no extracted oils. My diet is relatively low fat, but I do get healthy fats from nuts and avocados which I eat a little of one or the other each day. I keep away from processed oils and keep low fat because of personal reasons - I find cooking with oils makes me overeat, it just triggers me. I rarely eat out but if I do I order steamed veggies and tofu which I douse in soy sauce (only works at Asian restaurants). I'm just trying to get off my am protein shake to meet my protein goals (blech, I'm getting so sick of them!). I'm definitely more satisfied with my vegan meals post surgery. Befor surgery I was always hungry and honestly don't think I ever got enough protein. I honestly believe there are many approaches that work for weight loss, your results may vary!

Kristi T.
on 8/7/17 9:02 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Is there a good resource you used to "learn" how to be vegan? The internet is overwhelming and so many approaches to being Vegan. I would like to choose just one to follow, but don't know who or how. I have wanted to do this for years, and now have the time to actually dedicate to it.

Vegbeth
on 8/7/17 9:17 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I would research dr Davis, the bariatric surgeon and join some of the vegan bariatric support groups on Facebook. But unfortunately even vegan bariatric is not a one size fits all. If you send me a message perhaps I can help you along.

Most Active