What did you do or wish you had done to get ready?

thegarv
on 8/24/17 5:34 pm

For those of you who are getting ready for surgery and for those who have had it...what are some things you are doing to get ready for it and what are some things you wish you had done knowing what you do after surgery? Example: I'm weaning myself off caffeine (OY!) and soda; buying small food containers, trying different protein powders.

dmcs85
on 8/24/17 6:20 pm

I am having surgery Monday and I have been preparing for 7 months. I will tell you I did little changes at a time to not overwhelm myself. The past week I have been getting down to the nitty gritty.....got a mesh strainer, measuring cups, cleared out a specific cabinet for my "tools", bought a little one serving blender, etc.....I feel like something that help prepare me from the beginning is starting counceling and this support group and little healthy changes at a time. Also being honest with my councelor and on this support group to get honest feedback to help me conquer this journey. YOU GOT THIS :-)

peachpie
on 8/24/17 6:51 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Prior to I did two things: cut out any type of sugared beverages and limited carbs to one carb per meal. (I.e.- pasta or garlic bread- not both) Any other changes I did After.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Insert Fitness
on 8/24/17 7:44 pm

Congratulations on your surgery!

I really tried to practice the post op behaviours I was told would lead to long term success. I didn't do them all at once, but I kept adding them. Things like:

eliminating alcohol

reducing carbs

eliminating cafeine

stop drinking with meals

journaling everything I ate(this was major to help identify patterns and where behaviour needed modification)

I found getting a handle on the above really helped as surgery itself is overwhelming enough.

good luck! You got this!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Beam me up Scottie
on 8/24/17 7:45 pm
I wish I worked out more pre-surgery. I know this sounds like a small thing...but really....it speeds up healing..and would have made recovery a bit easier.
Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/24/17 7:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Many people find that their tastes for protein powders and shakes changes COMPLETELY after surgery. Don't bother trying too many of them just yet.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/17 9:25 pm
FluffyChix
on 8/25/17 3:34 am

Once I decided to move forward with WLS, my mindset changed or began changing so I could think as someone who is post WLS. It's like the movie What About Bob, where you practice things that "might" happen to you so that you'll be prepared when they do happen to you. LOL! Seriously. snort

I had some fears about things (no, really? LOL!)

I knew if I could find things like protein drinks I can tolerate from an asthma perspective, vitamins I can tolerate from a liver perspective, and a protein level I could live with that also satisfies my WLS team, etc, then I would not have as much anxiety once the guts are actually rearranged.

I also went on a very low carb, very low fat, and very low calorie diet I call my LowE(verything) diet to prepare. I figure I want to be "fat adapted" while I still have my tummy intact cuz it will be easier, rather than go from being a "sugar burner" to a "fat burner" after surgery.

Like Insert Fitness, I made a list of behaviors to start working on:

1. Taking small bites and chewing forevs.
  2. Not drinking before/with/post meals.
  3. Eating protein forward.
  4. Journalling every bite that goes in my mouth.
  5. Getting my water volume up and drinking by sipping not chuggin.
  6. Trying to only eat 3 meals and 1 snack per day.
  7. Choosing foods very carefully for the most nutrition and fewest calories possible.
  8. Continuing to weigh/measure all my foods.

I guess, I just feel that if I can get a lot of this stuff changed now, then I "may" be able to keep from making quite as many errors that could lead me to throwing up or land me in the hospital?

Great question btw!

Writergurl08
on 8/25/17 11:12 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I am also weening myself off caffeine. Soda isn't an issue for me as I gave it up several years ago, but coffee is my heroin and I have a hard time remembering to go for decaf.

I've been measuring out my portions and have reduced carbs, and started logging my food. I've been mindful of my water intake, and been going to the gym 3-4 times per week. Hoping strengthening my core will make for an easier recovery.

DH had RNY in may, so I'm learning a lot just by what I've experienced with him and what he wishes he'd done then. Sampling protein shakes is one, even though I know tastes may change. It's nice to know what options I have afterwards.

immediately prior to surgery I plan on scrubbing and picking up my whole house, so I won't feel tempted to do it when I should be taking it easy (besides walking of course), and making a reading list. I'm using the same surgeon DH had and he had him out of work for 4 weeks. I'm worried I'll die of boredom, nevermind the gut-rearranging.

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/17 8:01 am

The one thing I wish I would have done was work on my head before surgery.

Learning to love myself and forgive myself for having to have surgery to lose weight.

I think one important thing is to listen when you ask questions. I mean don't get angry when it may seem like they are not being nice.

One thing that I did do was to focus on not drinking with meals prior to surgery. It helped me a lot.

Oh one thing also is to make sure you put you first.

Most Active