Keto Diet info for non surgery peeps

missc_26
on 9/30/17 1:03 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi everyone

My wife has been an amazing support thru my VSG journey. She has finally decided to work on her diet and exercise and hopefully change careers.

I've suggested we both work towards a Keto lifestyle together. I know it's much easier when you have a smaller stomach and I am keen to give her some information/ support sites to check out and hopefully encourage her.

Anyone got some suggestions for the best Keto information for non bariatric people?

**important to note that as my wife she prefers advice from anyone but me ;) i have also shown her my fitness pal and discussed accountability but she gave me the "don't nag me" death stare so I backed off.

Cathy H.
on 9/30/17 4:13 am, edited 9/29/17 9:14 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I am Keto now, and I belong to a wonderful Keto FB group (I don't mention I've had WLS, it's just a regular keto group). If your wife goes to their website she can get some great preliminary information and sign up to get emailed the approved food list: www.ketovangelist.com

Then the FB group is Ketogenic Success, and once you get into that group you can also join the Ketovangelist Kitchen group, which is a wonderful recipe sharing group. Both groups follow the Ketovangelist guidelines for keto and whole body health.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ketogenicsuccess/?ref=bookma rks

Best of luck to you and your wife!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 9/30/17 5:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I lol'd at your comment at the end. My partner is similar. :D

I know that Paleo isn't the same as Keto, but there is overlap, so I recommend checking out Nom Nom Paleo if you like to cook. Lots of great recipes :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 9/30/17 5:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And regarding that comment... I just try to set a good example and hope it'll run off. Sometimes he asks questions and I answer as best I can, otherwise I just try to STFU. I didn't know it was possible for a person to be more stubborn than I am ;)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

missc_26
on 9/30/17 1:52 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Thanks Gwen, gotta love them!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/30/17 5:47 am

I try to follow Paleo-keto, and I love nom nom Paleo site.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/30/17 5:45 am

I am a member of a couple keto - low carb groups. Initially I joined a few of them, but 2 of them were really good for me, smart people, no judgement, no fighting, but a lot of info.

Suggest she finds groups like that for herself. Jus****ch for signs of her becoming "preacher of keto life" and when you see that - suggest a good therapist.

My Moto is "everything in moderation, even moderation".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/17 6:42 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I lost weight on keto multiple times before VSG and the reddit keto groups, especially www.reddit.com/r/keto were wonderful support and info for me.

Donna L.
on 9/30/17 6:53 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Even if she winds up not keto, it's tremendously healthy to reduce carbs however you can.

Just keep supporting each other and you will get there. We all have to change in our own time.

I follow a ketogenic diet, and I am a moderator at some of the forums run by the 2 Keto Dudes. My friends who do the podcast, Richard and Carl, are now working with Dr. Fung who is also big about keto diet stuff. I did a couple podcasts about it, too. Keto works very well for WLS, particularly the DS, but it works fab for a sleeve, too! I used to post on /r/keto a lot, however I got tired of the general Reddit atmosphere, and I also spend way too much time there so I skip it now. Loads of great resources though.

I do think that food intake for some of us matters (many of the keto peeps don't worry about calories as much) if we have had issues eating in the past, but overall much of the advice is salient.

There are many good books. If scientifically inclined, check out Lyle McDonald's book the Ketogenic Diet. However, there are loads of free resources online.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 9/30/17 9:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

What's cool is that you can do this together, but she will just have the capacity to eat more than you can. Just don't make her feel bad for eating more. Ideally, if her body and metabolism are working as designed, she will reep health benefits from keto without worrying so much about calories, anyway.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active