How to speed up Medicaid process?

FatManTX832
on 11/13/18 11:11 am

I have an appointment with Dr. Now (600lb life). What can I do that might speed up the process? Is there anything I can do/say/have?

Any help is appreciated.

Kathy S.
on 11/13/18 11:31 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations! Dr. Now is amazing! You really can't do anything to speed up the process. Just listen to the coordinator and be willing to do what ever they want/need to get your surgery. Each plan is different, you may have to do a medical supervised eating plan for 6 months. Just take it one day at a time and use this time to deal with your head issues.

Trust me, I have been around for 15 years and the ones that deal with head issues are those the get to goal and keep it off.....

Here is a link that has some great articles on the issue.

https://www.obesityhelp.com/index.php?s=head+hunger

We are here for you, let us know what you need

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

itsjustmisty
on 11/13/18 12:46 pm
VSG on 10/10/18

The only thing you can do to "speed up the process" is just make sure you have all the documentation presented to Medicaid asap. The more time they have to wait for you to submit documents they need, the longer the process takes.

FatManTX832
on 11/13/18 2:20 pm

I was hoping with a high BMI and problems with legs/feet it might speed up process. I really don't want to deal with a 6mo wait. But will do whatever it takes.

itsjustmisty
on 11/14/18 9:36 am
VSG on 10/10/18

Are you talking about approval for surgery with medicaid as your insurance? You already have medicaid correct?

If that's the case then there is nothing you can do to speed it up. Medicaid will have guidelines of what you need to do as well as your surgeon before your surgery will be sent for approval. From there the insurance has so many days to approve or not (usually with in 30).

Ready2goNOW
on 11/17/18 5:17 pm

I think any of us who have had WLS wanted the process to zoom along once we made our decision to have it.

I know I did.

But like many insurers...mine required I go thru 6 months worth of pre-testing as well as several meetings with a nutritionist.

I can tell you I learned more about my mental & physical health during those 6 months than in my 57 years! Working with the nutitionist plus keeping a daily food diary really opened my eyes to my eating habits.

The ' education' I got 6 months pre-op continues to serve me until this day! Like an alcoholic who has gone thru AA...I can't blindly eat like I did before without knowing ALL the consequences.

I lost 75 pounds pre-op in part because I learned I could prepare and eat foods I loved as long as I focused on protein, and seldom getting my calories from my drinks. I learned to make healthier choices which usually result in feeling satisfied. Do I still crave cookies, cake, extra sweet tea and OH GOD brownies? Of course! But if I keep on plan I can turn them down because I have the knowledge to help me do so.

In my opinion any of us who got to the point of needing surgery NEED to follow any requirements placed on us by our insurance or surgeons. You need that time to learn and prepare for life after surgery...IF you want to be successful!

So hang in there and do what you are told. Dr. Now is the best of the best and you are lucky to have him! And last but not least if you have a BMI in the 50s you really are at the fork in the road...take the right path!

Kathy

dreamer1234
on 12/1/18 9:28 am

all of this just takes time so be patient. i started the process in june 2017 and didn't have the surgery until sept 2018. medicare approved the surgery in 3 wks but took medicaid twice that long as they said they didn't get all the paper work from my surgeon. then i had to wait another 2 months for the surgery as my doctor is really busy but the wait was worth it. make sure you get everything documented, that is what i had to do.

Gina 21 Years Out
on 11/14/18 4:16 pm - Burleson, TX

WLS life is pretty much about "following the rules"...or paying the price

ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO THAT?

You said "any help is appreciated", so this is MINE...I am always honest. Your recent, and past posts strike me as someone who likes to "play fast and loose", and go against the mainstream way of doing things...This will bite you, in your post op life...it can even KILL you...We have SEEN it happen, to peeps, right here, on OH

You may possibly "decide you know best", and advice from liquids to solids "ahead of schedule"...to "speed up the process"...You may decide not to eat, at all, thinking you will lose weight faster (you won't)...

I have worked with Medicare/Medicaid, for decades (Tx nurse, here)...nothing I know of, to move those mountains, except to DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO

Medicaid pays crap. Dr Nowzarden doesn't need their money. He also isn't hurting for patients. I suggest you tow the line, the best you can, all the way around. From all I have heard, Dr Now doesn't put up with much BS, and doesn't have to - He's that good :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active