Dexascan - One more pre-op test?

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/11/19 4:48 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Dexascans (bone scan to measure for osteoporosis) are usually recommended for women over 65 and men over 70, but earlier if there are risk factors. I am 4+ years and just had one and it revealed some minor degree of bone loss. The only prior dexascan I had was about 10 years ago, so not close enough to determine if RNY accelerated bone loss. (I have been on synthroid for years - taking synthroid is a risk factor for osteoporosis)

I suggest that if you have any risk factors, get a dexascan before or shortly after RNY surgery (VSG has fewer issues with malabsorption). That was you can better monitor any issues that may develop. On the internet it says it costs about $125 without insurance.

Sharon

Jester
on 2/12/19 9:53 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I think a full body composition DEXA scan (pretty much never covered by insurance from what I understand - they only cover the bone density scan in some cases) is a great pre-op test. It gives you a much better understanding of the chanegs in your body as you lose weight (primarily fat loss vs muscle loss and overall body fat composition).

I understand pricing is quite variable throughout the country, but that $125 seems like a reasonable average. For those that are interested, I would check out you local universities health/nutrition departments. My personal experience, and what I've heard anecdotally from others, is that they often offer the scans at a lower price. In the Metro Detroit Area you can get them for under $100 at Eastern Michigan University (they recently raised their prices, but I still believe they are sub-$100). I maybe stretching the definition of "Metro Detroit" by including EMU, but it's not too terribly far for much of the area.

Kathy S.
on 2/18/19 5:47 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

When someone asked what test to have before surgery I always say Dexa scan. It's a great baseline for any future issues. Even if you are young and or never had an issue do it! I never had an issue with bone loss EVER. I had a Dexa scan and in the first year after my RNY I had lost 17% of my bone mass. Early detection helped me get on Prolia shots right away and it has stopped the loss and I am going on 15 years. I don't even want to think where I would be if I had not caught this early.....

Great question, thank you for asking

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/16/19 8:14 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Totally agree. I wish I had a baseline sooner than 4 years after surgery.

Thanks for getting the word out. At times, it's easy to forget that I got into WLS to improve health, not mere physique.

Sharon

Bonroxie19
on 2/15/19 8:41 pm

I get a dexa scan every Jan. In Los Angeles they cost 45.00 and well worth it. Also check for the bod pod test which many universities offer in their health depts at a low cost of 50.00

do this before you start your weight loss so you can see the major differences your body goes thru.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Most Active