Nutrition-3 month weigh loss question

michele035
on 4/23/19 5:21 am - PA

Hi

I am a revision from RNY to DS. I will be self financed as my insurance turned me down for this 2 years ago. I am back going through the pre-tests, etc. They have me seeing the nutritionist for the 3 months as before. My understanding previously is that the 3 month requirement is for insurance purposes. Since I am not going through insurance I asked if this was still a requirement. I have done all the other tests and have been cleared. I was told that I had to do the 3 month nutritionist. It doesn't make much sense to me since I am a revision, understand all the dietary requirements (also since I did the 3 month nutrition 2 years ago) and the last time lost 10 lbs. Needless to say I am not getting much in the way of true responses just "this is what you have to do". So I am doing it. My question is, does anyone know if I can get "denied" if I don't lose any or enough weight? I have stayed the same weight for 2 years (even the doctor noted that I am stable). I have terrible back issues (another reason for surgery so I can exercise and avoid back surgery) so I can't really exercise. I was down at my goal weight for 9 years, totally know how I gained the weight back (tragic family situations and I stopped paying attention to my food and exercise, typical...) and am ready for the surgery.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences where they were "turned down" due to weight loss or lack of? Given that I am getting on the scale every day, I know I am the same.

Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.

thank you

Grim_Traveller
on 4/23/19 6:57 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Insurance companies gave certain requirements. And surgeons/surgical programs also have requirements. It seems like this is a requirement from your surgeon's program.

I've seen other revisions have to go through the full requirements as if they were brand new. It may be an annoyance, but it's better than skipping steps.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/23/19 10:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If this is with your surgeon's personal policy, then you could likely be denied for any reason he/she wants. Unlike insurance, there's probably not a written policy to fall back on.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

michele035
on 4/23/19 10:50 am - PA

thanks everyone for the responses. As I mentioned, I am doing the 3 month nutrition requirements/visit. My question is more about the weight loss/gain issue. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks.

Grim_Traveller
on 4/23/19 1:00 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Since this is your surgeons requirement, any of us would just be guessing. I've seen insurance and surgeon requirements that have a number of pounds or percentage of weight list at each and every appointment. Some only care if you lose it all by the surgery date. Some only have the requirement that you don't gain anything. Some don't care about weight at all.

You really should ask for a complete and specific list of what they require from you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 4/23/19 4:51 pm

My surgeon had a written policy about this. If I remember correctly, it stated he would not operate if I gained more than 5 pounds, I think (or maybe it was 10), during the pre-op period.

I would ask your surgeon or look through the information you received from him.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

michele035
on 4/23/19 11:02 pm - PA

Thank you Laura! That makes total sense and is very helpful! Thank you

Valerie G.
on 4/25/19 6:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would follow up with the office manager, myself, since you are self-pay. Also, I can tell you that 99.9% of nutritionists do not know how to keep a DS patient healthy, from food selection to supplements to take. Get with a group of DSers to learn this. We have already been through the downfalls of their incompetence and can help you get to the right start. You will find a few groups on other social media platforms (starts with F and ends with K). One of my favorites is Duodenal Switch Patients. They are filled with old-timers and hard-asses about keeping healthy, as in no rainbow sprinkles, but they have helped many people who put their surgeon's team on a pedestal and wound up malnourished following their instructions.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active