The joys of clothing exchanges!

Dee_Caprini
on 10/2/20 3:42 pm

I saw a recent post about pain being associated with losing weight... and Veggie Woman made a very valid point! It hurt giving away clothes!

I have to agree with Veggie Woman 100%! It hurt giving away all of my "fat clothes" because I have memories associated with so many pieces of clothing. BUT, what brought me joy was seeing someone I knew wearing something of mine an now has the opportunity to bring them joy. My support group has (prior to COVID) a clothing exchange so it was nice to be able to see some of my clothes "walking around". I learned to do a lot of clothing exchange shopping as well to cut to costs instead of buying new clothes. I think a majority of my closet consists of other people's clothing haha. But, I have found that I enjoy walking into a store to buy something off the rack.

And, like food, I have learned not to put so much emphasis on things that don't bring me joy. Food does not bring me joy, clothes do not bring me joy. The memories are what bring me joy. Honestly, I think I remember more post op memories of things that I have been able to do because of WLS than pre-op because I was so unhappy.

I know there are online groups out there with a clothing exchange like atmosphere so I encourage you all to clean out your closet! I think I may need to purge in the near future!

Hoping everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Janet P.
on 10/3/20 7:52 am

I was fortunate to have had a very large local support group. Every 6 months or so the group would have a clothing exchange. Everyone would bring in their clothes and everyone went shopping. It was awesome and that's how I got rid of the majority of my fat clothes - the rest was donated to a woman's shelter.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

TJFox
on 10/5/20 8:12 am

I actually shipped many of my clothes to a family member that could use them and then gave the rest to Goodwill. A didn't have access to a clothing exchange. That would have been great too!

Dee_Caprini
on 10/5/20 10:22 am

Try and start one in your area! It's not hard!

Most Active