should i be concerned that my doctor told me i will be her biggest patient have a perform...

MetalHeadCHICK
on 10/12/21 12:30 pm

should i be concerned that my doctor told me i will be her biggest patient have a perform weight loss surgery on

Partlypollyanna
on 10/12/21 4:12 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Every doctor will have a patient that is their biggest patient.

Do your research, understand that surgeon's outcomes, ask questions that help you decide like "when you say I am the biggest, what does that mean? (5lbs bigger? 200 lbs bigger? both could be the answer and obviously one might have a bigger impact on your decision).

What accommodations or changes do they expect because of that? Ask if it raises their concerns -- if yes, ask why...if no, ask why. The statement that you are the biggest should just cause you do ask more questions.

Good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/21 3:41 am, edited 10/16/21 2:25 am
RNY on 01/01/14

What kind of surgery have you decided on ?

Can you handle the lifelong vitamin and exercise requirements of a DS or distal RNY ?

And are you most importantly healthy and young enough to recover from essentially being hit by a Mack truck ? ( so my business partner who kindly visited me in the hospital every day, took me home and took care of me for about a month called what I looked like )

Because honestly I really don?t think the sleeve ( which is relatively easy and safe for the docs ) results in usually more than 70 lbs weight loss ... of which at least twenty gets regained .

You?re probably better off in the long run if you can tolerate a virgin surgery scaled right to what you need to lose .... and there are relatively few docs that do that with patients your weight and have a great track record.

They also have to have heavyweight gurneys ... beds , scales ... just the proper equipment and around- the clock team and hopefully they?re located near you in case of post op emergency ( I had one- a bowel twist from dehydration about fifteen days post op - I was VERY lucky that my surgical team took me in the middle of the night and infused me IVs and I didn?t have to get cut open again) .

I?m NOT trying to scare you ... this surgery is the best thing you?re ever going to do for yourself... but you?re facing a challenge. Make great decisions please!

You have to look totally openly and unjudgmentally at your favored eating habits to choose your best option.

Do you prefer ( or tolerate) a lot of fried or fast foods , greasy meats, cheeses and nuts or sugary , fatty desserts or both ?

If it?s the former you can go either way I think ... the second ... the best choice might be the RNY because most people dump.

I haven?t tried a REAL dessert since my marriage in Vegas and dumping from a molten chocolate covered fountain ice cream experience.

I definitely THINK about eating sugar ( like when I see tempting fresh gelato) and then my body remembers writhing on the floor for half an hour wanting to die .

In the long run it might be keeping my teeth from rotting and diabetes at bay ... not bad things .((()) hugs

Alexpope
on 10/26/21 7:37 am
RNY on 10/21/20

I guess my question would be how much experience do they have in terms of weight loss surgery? Every dr will have a "first" but it all really goes down to how much experience they have in general. You could also ask some questions as to what additional complications are possible with your size as well as what they think should be done before surgery to prevent those. Asking those questions will be good to help you understand what you can do to help your surgeon with your surgery.

Most Active