Day 4 December to Remember Giveaway - WINNER ANNOUNCED

Member Services
on 12/16/21 4:05 am, edited 12/17/21 5:00 am - Irvine, CA

A December to Remember Giveaway

CONGRATULATIONS TO CHEAPSKATE, YOU ARE OUR WINNER! PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL. YOU WILL HAVE 48 HOURS TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE.

For this exciting December To Remember Giveaway, there will be one winner per day. The Giveaway begins on Monday, December 13, 2021, through December 31, 2021. Winners will be selected at random.

This giveaway is open to legal residents of the United States and must be a minimum of 18 years of age to participate. Participants must be registered members of ObesityHelp.

Question: Do you think that counseling and behavioral therapy are key to a weight loss patient?s success and why?

Prize: WickedCutz Gift Box, Jerky, Meat Sticks, Wicked Seasonings. $100 value.

Partlypollyanna
on 12/16/21 4:08 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I think it's absolutely key. New coping strategies have to be developed, plus with all the change you under go, it's good to have someone to work with on any issues that pop up.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/21 4:35 am
RNY on 09/01/12

I found individual talk therapy, monthly group discussions with my bariatric surgeons fellow patients and even twelve step groups like Overeaters Anonymous and H.O.W... to be very instructive and helpful .

Through listening to others share I learned about emotional and bored overeating I didn't want to admit to myself ... and I also learned tried and real ways of coping such as making a list of ten things that relax you that don't involve calories or food ( and then engaging in as many of those activities as you can before you break down and overeat .

Melody P.
on 12/16/21 4:51 am - Amarillo, TX

I think it is very important. As one who should've sought that help sooner I can't overstate how important it is.

Mel

notdamomma
on 12/16/21 5:42 am

I absolutely think therapy and counseling are key to our success. Prior to surgery, I didn't think I needed counseling, but after it was a whole new ball game. I found that emotional eating was a source of my weight issues and didn't realize it. After counseling and some redirecting of my stress/emotions I handle things much better, at least I think so. I would say that recognizing what your root cause is can be very important to your long term success. I didn't do counseling early enough so I did experience regain more quickly than I would have liked.

cheapskate
on 12/16/21 6:26 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I think pre op counseling is essential. So often you hear "I don't understand why I'm fat, i don't eat like a fat person"....that's not generally the case. Knowing why you overeat/self sabotage is pivotal to success. Even now, fighting regain i can 100% see what emotional responses are in play From before surgery and have the tools to address it.

LeonaCR
on 12/17/21 2:59 pm

Congratulations on winning the prize!

LeonaCR
on 12/16/21 6:48 am

Counseling was so very key for me. I was on the fence about whether to have the surgery and had all kinds of questions in my mind. Was I really ready for such a big step? What if this? What if that? I didn't know if I was mentally ready to take the steps to change my life and learned things about myself in counseling. Things that helped me address even more than my food issues. My counselor was really good so I was very lucky!

lmfontana4
on 12/16/21 10:37 am
RNY on 03/24/21

It depends on the person. I beleive that if a person has a good support group and is aware of their triggers they may be able to lose weight and sustain it. However, many of us lack insight to our triggers for overeating, binge eating, and other destructive behaviors. In this case it is important for behavioral therapy and counseling to occur.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

xtablue
on 12/16/21 1:17 pm - Orlando, FL

I do think weight loss therapy is key. I lost a bunch with my RNY but then my ahead got in the way. I spent a good deal of time working thru those issues before scheduling my conversion to DS. I have already given my counselor some talk tracks for post surgery to make sure I don't fall down the same rabbit holes.

Height 5'4" HW 372 Consult W 351 SW 291 RNY 7/11/14

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the life that is waiting for us."

Most Active