Surgeon or PCP?

Want2beMe
on 2/3/22 5:36 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I was told to get yearly labs by my surgeon. I was wondering if anyone goes through there PCP (primary care physician)? How long do you see the surgeon for? Rest of your life? My surgeon went back to school and so I think it would be in my best interest to know the person reviewing my labs.

catwoman7
on 2/3/22 6:17 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I still see my surgeon, but there are people on here who switched over to their regular PCP after a couple of years. As long as the PCP knows what labs to order, it should be fine.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 2/4/22 5:32 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I saw my surgeon the first year, I can see him as needed from now on; I use my PCP and I just tell her what labs i want. She's never questioned what I ask for but has added a few that she needed, lol.

I've decided this will be a litmus test for any future GPS, if they are not willing to let me be my own advocate and to follow my asks on labs, they are not the practice for me.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Kathleen W.
on 2/4/22 6:01 pm - Lancaster, PA

I saw the surgeon for a year or two. Now, I go to my PCP. She orders exactly what the surgeon orders.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

califsleevin
on 2/5/22 8:32 am - CA

We still see our surgeon (it's done virtually as he is 400 miles away) but I think that it is less critical for me with my VSG than it is for her with her DS (or an RNY if she had that) as there can be more subtleties involved in evaluating the labs for the malabsorbing procedures. Our surgeon sometimes has different preferences for the reference ranges for the labs, like he may prefer the vit D levels to be on the higher side of the usual "normal" range than what the lab specifies, and that's his experience with his patient population talking.

I like think in terms that it is like keeping him on retainer in the event something odd happens (again, more likely with the malabsorbing procedures than with a VSG), the PCP can consult with him (is this a common thing with your patients, is this related to the WLS or just incidental, etc.)

Another thing to watch for, particularly if one is using their PCP for monitoring, is that the surgeons' lab sheet may change over time as they find new things that should be monitored.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Want2beMe
on 2/9/22 7:10 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

Well I changed my PCP to one that is more suitable for my needs and cancelled all future appointments with my care team who assisted after the surgery. I'm also scheduled to take classes with the dietician at the grocery store who is 100% better at helping me.

Most Active