my first post and question on this forum

samslim
on 8/18/11 3:23 pm
i must say this is a fun group over here, although it is a myth that all over weight people are jolly lol :) well as im reading and looking at members on this forum, i dont see a lot of people that have had the gastric sleeve with a high bmi (im 445lbs as of today, never told anyone but my doc that) here. i am going to be having this done out of pocket in feb and felt that the sleeve was the best way to go for the price. my issue is, am i going to see the weight loss that i need, which id love to be atleast 200 lbs with this sleeve or should i just find some reasonable insurance wait 6 more months and have the bypass. any comments are welcome and valued. 
Faith is taking the first step even when you dont see the whole staircase... MLK jr.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 8/18/11 10:24 pm
I think you should go with whatever surgery you think will best help you achieve your goals. You most likely will only get one shot at this, so make it count! Have you researched all the surgeries including the DS?

As for impressive losses, 2 men in one of the support groups I attend have lost over 350lbs each with the sleeve, so it can work...it's all up to you and your choices!
Good luck and keep asking questions!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

samslim
on 8/18/11 11:26 pm
thank you very much for your input. you told me just the thing i neede to hear. i really like what ive read and researched on the sleeve i just needed the proof :) congrats on the bike ride thats a huge goal to accomplish. there is a mt in china that is over 6 miles to the top and 7000 steps, thats my goal after weightloss :)
Faith is taking the first step even when you dont see the whole staircase... MLK jr.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 8/22/11 1:46 am
Thanks, the bike ride was amazing...so much so that I signed up to do it again! I'm sure that one day soon you'll be scaling that mountain, and many others as well :)

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

acbbrown
on 8/19/11 1:03 pm - Granada Hills, CA
i started the process for the sleeve with a BMI of 60 (420 lbs). However, by diet/exercise during pre-op program through Kaiser, I lost 85 lbs before I had surgery, so my BMI was 49.9 the day I had surgery (my goal was to be under 50!). Still, that's considered quite high. I'm only 10 weeks post VSG but im down 38 lbs or so.

Don't focus on the price for your surgery . Focus on what you want, and what you can live with. I personally opted for the sleeve though had I not been able to lose as much weight as I did pre-op, I might have fought for a DS. But I know if I can do it without surgery, I can be sucessful with the sleeve.

If you want the bypass, do you research and make your decision based on facts, Don't settle for a surgery you dont want (the same way we shouldn't settle for men!).

Go over to the VSG forum - i know jimbo over there lost 330 lbs with the sleeve, and there are several others who have lost 200+, so it's possible. It comes down to your determination, and what you want to accomplish.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Brenda C.
on 8/20/11 2:51 pm
If I did not feel I needed the malabsorption of  bypass, I would have gone VSG.  My boyfriend intends to get VSG as soon as his coverage is reinstated.

I have three friends who went VSG - and with WORK, they have made impressive losses.  If you have issues with portion control, I think VSG is a great surgery.  If you feel you need the addition of malabsorption - the RNY or DS may be the surgeries to look at.  Talk to your surgeon, and ask their opinion.  Go to support groups, and see folks face to face.

Brenda : )~
K. Sutton
on 8/22/11 8:45 am - Cleveland, TX
Sam I had the VSG on 8/11 and have lost 40lbs to date.  The ultimate decision on what type of WLS you have is going to be up to you. Talk it over with your surgeon and get his opinion.  I did alot of research and talked to many people on this site in various stages after WLS.  I paid for my surgery out of pocket as well and the VSG was definitely my choice of surgery.  However, I went to my first consultation with the surgeon and listened to what he had to say before I told him what I wanted.  I weighed 400lbs at the time with a BMI of around 51.  The surgeon actually told me he thought that the sleeve would serve me well. (surprised because it cost less)  Anyway, I hope your decision (whatever it might be) works out for you.
BTW - I have a goal of 200lbs and my surgeon thinks it is a very attainable goal.

Most Active