Is there room in this family for one more ?!

Sweet_56
on 8/24/11 3:20 pm, edited 8/24/11 3:21 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada

Hello Everyone!!
I will be travelling to Mexico and having my VSG on 09-17-2011.
I am excited to start this journey, but I am very scared and nervous.
I have done all the research and I think if anyone has the skills and experience to operate on me Dr. Aceves is the man. I gathered information from other doctors and ultimately I decided I would rather be someones 3rd or 4th extra high BMI patient vs their first. I have decided that now is the time to get WLS before I end up with a large amount of comorbidities that are associated with people my size. I love my family doctor and he supports my decision to have WLS (infact he stated I should have done it years ago) My doctor said I am very healthy considering "how big a girl" I am, and that if I wait for the provincial program I'll be waiting a good 3 years. Which sparked my interest in medical tourism. Why wait the 3 years and chance letting my health decline?! 
I have heard from people that I am too young to have WLS, My BMI is too high and as such I will be risking my life,  and if I just spent more time in the gym I could get the weight off myself. However those people dishing out advice are not walking anywhere in my shoes. I'm 27 and I'm tired of being Super Morbidly Obese (I hate that term). I never thought I would ever be at the point where I was ECSTATIC when I was weighed and the scale didn't read 500 pounds!! That said the number I read on the scale sure caused some shell shock anyways.
So I'm a Heavyweight, and I am ok with that. I know that I can accomplish my goals with the tool I am about to receive. I am even more excited to have found a forum where people MY size can relate to MY issues and we can work together to find solutions. I'm also glad to know I am not alone and that there are newbies here just learning the system and vets to help us learn from their experiences.
I have 200+ pounds to lose to get to my doctors goal weight and at this point that seems like an impossible journey, but as I spent time reading stories from all over these boards I realize it's possible. It's going to require A LOT of work but the end result will be worth every ounce of effort.

I look forward to getting to know everyone's stories and following you guys on your journeys towards better health. I also welcome anyone who wants to become friends.
Cheers,
Cher

Brenda C.
on 8/25/11 5:22 am
Hey Cher!

First, I sent you two notes - I guess I got confused by your "ticker," sorry if you read my notes & thought I was "challenged,"  I am, but that is besides the point!!!

WELCOME!!!  Having a High BMI is hard, no matter what age you are.  I want to High Five you for taking your health into your own hands & doing this with or without the Province Medical support!  When folks here in the States complain about waiting six months, I have pointed out the wait in Canada - three years is ridiculous!

Living within 150 miles of British Columbia (I usually spend my birthday in that Province), I have met some WONDERFUL people!!!  My surgeon has performed on many of those friends, so we have even more in common then just a weight issue.

As for your age - HEY!!!  Many of us often say, "I wish I had done this ten years ago..."  So brighten up Sweetie, you are ahead of the curve!!!

Hugs!
Brenda : )~
Sweet_56
on 8/30/11 4:36 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you sooooo much for the words of encouragement I look forward to growing with this community!
I also called Chike and they were completely AMAZING!!!! I should have my sample very soon!
kellyl1202
on 8/27/11 10:34 pm
good luck with your surgery...& congratulations!
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

Sweet_56
on 8/30/11 4:36 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you very much!
Hippy-Chick
on 8/29/11 11:47 am - Bellefontaine, OH

Cher,

Good luck with your surgery!   I hope all goes well!

I am in the high bmi club too.  I was just approved for the RNY and should proceed in the next couple months.

I will watch for your progress!

Sweet_56
on 8/30/11 4:39 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thank you!!
I'm hoping to start up a V-log on youtube to "document" my progress.
truckingbride
on 10/9/11 4:49 pm - Harriston , Canada
all the best! I was just wondering why you have to go to Mexico for surgery why cant you get on the wait list here in ontario? it is less then 3 years....? How does that all work?
Sweet_56
on 10/10/11 7:00 am - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks! Things have been going really well so far... The wait list in Ontario is shorter, but you have to be a resident of Ontario for 6 months before you can apply or you are required to pay for it privately... Since I live in Saskatchewan I decided if I am going to self-pay I was going to Mexico for a few reasons... It is MUCH cheaper to have the surgery done in Mexico compared to Canada and the USA. The prices in Canada/USA for a sleeve surgery run from 18,000-30,000 or more... I paid around 11,000 Canadian for my surgery, 3 return flights to and from San Diego (I had two companions come with me), A extra hotel night in San Diego (we went a day early to do some shopping), 3 nights for my Companions to stay at the Mexicali Crowne Plaza while I was in the Hospital, and all their food, drinks, and snacks. I went to a doctor that had rave reviews, I was in a Hospital the entire time, and I couldn't find anything negative about getting to see a bit of Mexico and the warm weather. I was able to have it done Laparoscopically (here in Canada it would have been Open due to my size). The Doctor I went to in Mexico has done more then 500+ sleeves and 3000+ different weightloss surgeries with NO leaks, or huge complications. Lastly I went because once I decided I was going to have the surgery and had my finances in order I was scheduled and went for surgery in less than a month. At 474 pounds time was of the essence :)
If you want to know more just let me know
All the best!

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers 
My Video Log...  Follow as this Fat Canadian Shrinks!! 
www.youtube.com/user/TheShrinkingCanadian

Most Active