A Quick Question about Excess Skin...

Sweet_56
on 9/1/11 3:11 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi everyone,
I posted a question in the graduates forum, but I was thinking you folks over here would maybe have a better idea of what I am talking about... Either way I would rather have more feedback then not enough... Hopefully its not against the rules to paste here.. If so, Sorry in advance!

Hi Guys,

I just have a quick question about excess skin..
I thought I would ask the Graduates as I imagine you are all maintaining or very close. I am considered a Heavyweight with 200+ pounds to lose.
I have been told many times that I am young and my skin will bounce back, but I find it hard to believe that my Apron will just disappear into thin air *although I will keep my fingers crossed.* I also have quite large thighs. I do currently go to the gym and use the ellipticals and treadmills but I get thigh burn now, and I only imagine its going to get worse once I start to lose some weight. I actually am most worried about the excess skin after surgery vs the surgery itself.
I am reasonably confident with my fluffy body, and being fat the majority of my life I can't Imagine a thinner version of myself. I have lost weight in the past but nothing crazy significant where I had hanging skin.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks soo much
Cheryl
InkdSpEdTchr
on 9/2/11 3:02 am
Yes you will most likely have excess skin, and yes it may be problematic. However, you may be able to get insurance to pay to remove the problem bits and the rest is not that big of a deal.

When compared to all the amazing and wonderful things that I am able to do, and not have to worry about (sitting in armchairs, booths, etc) every bit of excess skin is worth it. Do I love it? No. Can I deal with it? Sure, it's waaaaaay better than being super morbidly obese!

Plus, I know plenty of people who have plastics and you'd never know that they have been even overweight, so there is hope!

Good Luck
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

acbbrown
on 9/2/11 11:49 am - Granada Hills, CA
You will probably have some excess/loose skin. It's part of the process. I have lost 130 lbs (with about another 110 to go) and my arms are horrible, my stomach looks like an alien, havent noticed any problems with my legs yet, but I'm imagining I will be a hot mess under my clothes when all is said and done.

I have Kaiser and I have been told unofficially kaiser will certainly cover skin removal of my stomach area (because of rashes and all that). I will definitely be getting some PS especially my arms, but even if I didnt, Id be happy to live with the extra loose skin than the extra skin filled with fat.

Life is already great 130 lbs downs - it can only get better, skin and all.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Brenda C.
on 9/2/11 12:57 pm
I have only (ha ha - ONLY) lost 160 pounds - with a whole lot more to go (I just got under 50 BMI - closing in on 300 pounds) - but I am already being scheduled to see 4 surgeons to evaluate removal of my pannus - belly fat apron -- then the inner thighs.

Yes, you probably will need RECONSTRUCTIVE surgery - that is the key word.  Plastics usually is not covered by insurance, but medically necessary reconstructive surgery (if your pannus is more than TWO inches hanging over your pubis - it is NECESSARY), it is usually covered.

When can you get the surgery?  Dunno.  It will depend on how fast you lose, how you "deflate", and of course, how your surgeon feels on the subject.  I am freaking out inside, worrying I will go zero for four, but being realistic, my primary doc is championing this whole effort -- not just my surgeon - my primary doc!

Do your research, eat LOTS of protein (it is easier on your body to recover), exercise, and follow your nutrition plan!

Brenda : )~
Sweet_56
on 9/4/11 6:20 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks ladies! You are all very very inspiring!! I can't wait to experience things when I start to lose more weight... I would love to do soo many things, but my weight causes physical restrictions due to safety reasons and what not.
Thanks again for your input :)
Most Active