29y/o w BMI 55...Researching Still!

fayhog2001
on 9/16/11 11:50 am - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
Hey Everyone!

I just joined the Obesity Help site today...i've been checking it out as a "Guest" and finally took the next step to join and post!

I've been researching WLS not because I'm unhappy with my looks, but because I"m wanting to make sure the issues i have now, at 29 y/o, aren't compounded with age and lack of weight loss.

I live in the Dallas, TX area and have attended many seminars from different doctors.  I have also been attending some of the support groups from the different facilities.  This forum has given me alot of the information I've been looking for and am really glad you all have shared your stories!

I am leaning toward the sleeve procedure.  The only thing i have not seen is much information on individuals more than 2-3 years post-op...I'm interested in learning more about the long-term successes...any thoughts?
WoolyBully
on 9/17/11 4:47 am - MI

Hi,

I only had my surgery 6 months ago, so I can't give you direct info.

But I suggest you look under forums, WLS Graduates. Most of the people there are over 2 years.

They could be a good resource.

LaToya S.
on 9/20/11 9:19 am - Edwardsville, IL
Welcome! I have only been on this board for a few days myself.
My cousin who is a RN had the sleeve and says it is the least invasive and the newest.
With it being a fairly new procedure you probably won't find that much information.

Good luck!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

InkdSpEdTchr
on 9/21/11 2:44 am
The good news is that it's not that new of procedure, as it's a part of the DS surgery which has been around a very long time.

They also used to do the sleeve on people with very high BMI's till they were lower then gave RNY. So it's been performed for a many years, it's just only recently gaining widespread popularity.

There are people who are more that a few years out, but not a lot of old timers can be found on OH as they are off living their new healthy lives.

I was 29 too when I had my surgery, and my only regret was that I hadn't done it 5 yrs before! I got my life back and even though I was happy before- I am blissful now.

Good Luck

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Brenda C.
on 9/21/11 5:22 am
Danni gave you the best answer!  The Sleeve is a GREAT procedure, and then if you need more help, they can add the malabsorptive to it.

I went RNY, for reasons I needed malabsorptive -- my body (said by multiple doctors) is TOO efficient!  Anyhow, I started at a BMI of 74.4, and a few years on you -- at ten months out, I am under a 50 BMI, and closing in on 300 pounds (started at 474).

Go to seminars, talk with surgeons, and find out what is covered under your insurance -- mine did not cover Sleeve even if I wanted to go that directions.

Brenda : )~
fayhog2001
on 9/21/11 6:33 am - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
Thank you all for responding so far!  I have attended two different seminars, had a consulation with Dr. Nicholson, and attended a Support Group in the area as well...have done alot of research, but I am finding alot more "real" answers from this website!

I guess it does make sense that the long-term vets prolly are out enjoying roller coasters and boating on the lake (my dreams) instead of writing on here...LOL LOL

I'm sure you all will hear more from me!
* Nicole *
on 9/28/11 1:57 am
Welcome!

I was 22 when I had my DS. Best decision of my life. Cause over 6 years later I'm still at my goal and living life.

Do your research carefully. Meet with surgeons that do all 4 procedures! If not its like going to a Ford dealer to ask about a Cadillac.

The biggest study for the VSG alone is a 5 year study only. And statistically has about the same sucess as the RNY at 5 years out. But the DS is the superior surgery in long term EWL.

Go to all the surgical boards and read ask questions.

Make the decision on what surgery THEN pick a surgeon.

Being in TX, if you are near Denton please see Dr. Daryll Stewart he performs all 4. And is a great surgeon.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

hmahler
on 10/3/11 2:33 am - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Hi there.

I'm just 15 months out from the sleeve... but as you can see I'm doing very well and extremely happy with my surgery and progress.

Good luck.

Hally

Check out my blog at
www.mahlersonsafari.blogspot.com   

fayhog2001
on 10/3/11 11:08 am - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
wow!  Congrats hmahler!
G-Wiz
on 10/8/11 9:05 am - LA
Had a BMI of 54, sleeved on 8/9/11, have dropped to a BMI of 42
and declining. Starting the 9th week and totally excited. No
malabsorption probles with the sleeve and less suppliments also.
After much research, decided on sleeve and if not enough can add DS later. That was my rational, dropped below 300, heaviest weight 387, 341 at consult, 295.3 now.

HW:387#,  CW: 341.7#,  SW:326.5#, GW 180#...
SLEEVE SURGERY DATE  AUGUST 9, 2011.....                      
Most Active