Hello - new here

Lynn Brown
on 10/21/11 11:54 am
Well, I was messing around and found this forum. My BMI is right at 50. I am a shorty (5'3") and weigh 282.  My goal weight should be 135 but I'm going to be happy if I get below 150.

Questions:
When will I have to buy new cloths?
Will I get tired of the same old food?
How does one live without ice cream?
Is there any other way to get rid of all the extra skin besides plastic surgery?

Concerns:
Transfer addiction
Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Looking forward to:
Not wearing a CPAP to bed
Not having to sit on the edge of a chair with arms
Not feeling like everyone is watching me eat
Buying 'normal' cloths

I am having a Lap Band but, before I get all the friendly suggestions to get something else, that is my only choice for WLS (except for no surgery, which I am not willing to do). 

acbbrown
on 10/21/11 1:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA
When I first started, I had to buy clothes about every 60 lbs or so. Now, about every 20-30 lbs, I have to go down a size because saggy butts are one thing, but when uncovered butts are another!

I do not get tired of the same foods. The only foods i get excited about are bad for me, and I never eat them, so I am okay just eating boring old eggs, cottage cheese and meat. I do get more variety these days, but generally eat the same things. It works for me because I like consistency, not having to think about my food choices, and easy to plan for. I know one day i'll have to venture out into the "real world" and eat real food, but im satisfied for now. I eat out about twice a month ( and usually just get meat prepared by someone else - heaven!) and thats enough of a treat for me.

I used to be a huge sweet addict before surgery - I ate chocolate every day. After surgery, I was so miserable, I swore to never let that stuff touch my lips again. I don't crave it - i am tempted if it sits in front my face at a party or work or something, but I enjoy my new found freedom more than i like chocolate. It's just a personal choice you have to eat - i had an addiction, and for me, at this point in my life, there is no moderation of certain foods. If ice cream is one of yours then cut it out.

As an alternative, I freeze yummy protein shakes and have protein pops (they are usually a little on the soft side so it could make a good ice cream substitute).

As for the skin, unfortunately for those of us starting at BMIs of 50 and above, we are going to have a lot of skin. Plastics will be the only way to get rid of it. Or a butcher knife - im contemplating that method soon, but its a little on the riskier side (haha okay im kidding).

I generally think the band sucks, however, i believe that short of a mechanical problem, if you set your mind to following the rules and sticking to it, you WILL be successful regardless of your WLS option. So, just know that you are in for a rough journey and there will be many days where it seems impossible, but focus on one goal at a time, and dont get distrated with your long term goals.

Good luck to you!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Lynn Brown
on 10/21/11 2:07 pm
Thanks for the info on buying new cloths.  I was really wondering about that. Funny, the things we get stuck on. If I had belt loops, I'd last longer but, as most of us 'big' people, I have elastic bands to accommodate my weight fluctuations.

I do like eggs and meat, so I will be fine there.  I was thinking about coming up with 3-4 'perfect' menus and just rotating through them.  I have never gotten tired of any food but I have always had the option of eating whatever I wanted. I can eat chicken for a week, no problem, but if I didn't want to eat it, I had choices. I doubt I'll have a problem here, just another one of those thing I got stuck on.

Luckily I don't crave sweets (although I do like ice cream). I am more a chips or Chex mix kind of gal and can eat a whole bag.  Probably, at first anyway, I'll have to completely avoid them. I like the idea of freezing protein shakes.  I have been making a protein pudding that's pretty good. The protein doesn't let the pudding set up all the way but it isn't bad. I'm trying to find different ways to get the protein in.  I was on the pre-op diet for 2 weeks (then my surgery was pushed back). I can tell you, just in 2 weeks, I was sick to death of protein shakes.So, I've been experimenting.

I hear you about the butcher knife. My insurance won't pay for plastics at all so, briefly, I had the same thought about a butcher knife!

A lot of people seem to be opposed to the band.  I've read a lot of the arguments and, if I had a choice, I'd get something different. I even saw one post the said they would rather have no WLS than the band.  That's not me, something has to change. I'm eating myself to death. So, I will be committed to my tool, which happens to be the band. I am determined to use my tool to the full extent and lose half of me or more.

Thanks for your good luck wish and for chatting me up!

Brenda C.
on 10/22/11 1:32 pm
Questions:
When will I have to buy new cloths?
Will I get tired of the same old food?
How does one live without ice cream?
Is there any other way to get rid of all the extra skin besides plastic surgery?

Concerns:
Transfer addiction
Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Clothing - join a support group - WE all share our clothing!!!  I have been able to go through my closet & pass on a lot, while finding things I forgot I had.

With a good diet, you shouldn't get bored.  I have a happy life and I am still working on portion size.  It is a balancing act, but I am not bored.

There are alternatives to ice cream, and then there are Skinny Cow portions - you will figure it all out.

Skin doesn't always "bounce back," so if you need plastics, you can deal with it when that time comes.  Exercise WILL help.

Make sure YOU are ready emotionally.  Being aware is also a way to keep you "straight".

I take supplements, I am almost a year out, and I still drink meal replacement shakes, and my blood work has been perfect.  If you take time to educate yourself, you will be fine!

Getting surgery is only part of the equation, there is a new lifestyle YOU need to learn to live by.  Eat properly, exercise, take supplements, get support, and stay positive.

Brenda : )~
Lynn Brown
on 10/23/11 1:41 pm
Thanks, Brenda.

I never thought about the support group.  I will have to mention it at the next one.

I take supplements now but the ore I read, the more confused I become. I am taking what I think the Nut suggested but she spoke in generalities and never recommended a specific brand or place to shop.

I never worried about transfer addiction (heck, didn't even know about it****il I started reading posts here. Now thats about all I think about.  I seem pretty confident that I will manage the new eaing requirements but worry that I will replace excessive eating with something else.

Our support group only meets once a month so I'm glad I found this place!

Thanks, again for your responces!

Aydenzmoma
on 10/24/11 12:04 am - ME
RNY on 01/04/12
 Lynn, We have ALOT in common!!  I too am new here.  My BMI is 50.7.  I am 5ft2in and 277, my highest was last year at 284.  I am In the pre surgical process.  I don't have a date set yet, but at this rate it looks to be around Jan.  I am aiming for the RNY, I am against the band, but I can see your situation.  I would do the same thing.  You asked alot of the questions that I had.  Thank you!  

Katy~~
It's never too late to figure out your purpose and start to live your best life."
    Goodbye 280's, 270's, 260's,250's,240's,230's,220s,210s,200s,190s,180s,170s,                    
HW 283/ SW 269/ CW 160/ GW 120

Brenda C.
on 10/24/11 3:05 am
On October 24, 2011 at 7:04 AM Pacific Time, Aydenzmoma wrote:
 Lynn, We have ALOT in common!!  I too am new here.  My BMI is 50.7.  I am 5ft2in and 277, my highest was last year at 284.  I am In the pre surgical process.  I don't have a date set yet, but at this rate it looks to be around Jan.  I am aiming for the RNY, I am against the band, but I can see your situation.  I would do the same thing.  You asked alot of the questions that I had.  Thank you!  
Hey Katy --

OH is a fabulous place to hear from folks who have gone through/are going through the process of weight loss.  Whether surgical or non-surgical, we all have at least one thing in common: We have finally decided we need to do something.

I started out with a BMI over 74, and I am hovering just under 50 BMI, but today I found out I fit in my bathtub!  You will have NSV - Non Scale Victories - that will make you feel better about this journey.

So to both Lynn and Katy, ask ALL you can, don't be afraid of asking any of the members - even personal questions - as we all have the weight issues in common.

Whichever surgery you choose is ultimately YOUR decision.  If you chose not to use surgery - there are LOTS of people who are doing the same.  Like I said - ASK YOUR QUESTION, HERE.  This is a safe place to ask - there are no dumb questions ;)

My main thought to remind folks - we did not gain all our weight overnight, so it will take more than a few months to lose it all!  Stay positive, and the more you are active on OH, I swear it makes the journey easier!

Brenda : )~
WoolyBully
on 10/24/11 12:17 pm - MI
Welcome Lynn and Katy

I don't have much to add, the others are giving great feed back.

Clothes -- I had to go clothes shopping (which I hate) several time since my surgery, but the last couple times was great because I saved a lot of money at Wal Mart over what I would have spent at the Big and Tall.

CPAP- so far I still need my CPAP (after 150 lbs lost). Maybe when I am at goal I might not need it.

Good Luck to both of you.

Gary

P.S. I love the name Lynn, it is my wife's middle name, and we named our oldest daughter Lynn. 
Stella-Blue
on 10/24/11 5:58 pm - Where the four winds blow me safely home, NY
I was eating myself to DEATH too...I made an RNY work for me when people said I would fail.  you can make your band work too!  I't's an awesome start to ask questions so you'll know what to expect. I'll be honest, I look like a SHARPEI dog naked....that's what the skin is like.  I do cry about it, but I am alive, cancer free (had an issue with it due to my weight) and I can do ANYTHING now!!!  (OK except wear a swimsuit in public lol)  Capri pants, 3/4 sleeve T's = good choices for me.  Get pants or skirts with drawstrings as you lose, that way they fit longer and your butt won't hang out....lol. You'll do GREAT  :)

Start: 487 lbs (8/07) Lost 81 lbs pre op on South Beach. 406 lbs at surgery (6/08). 179 post op, by 2011. I  lost 308 lbs. Gained 98 while pregnant (2012-13) lost all but 25. My goal is to be 179 again!
   siggy1 photo b83557eb-1c5e-4e0a-90b7-89760c2e36e2.jpg   Two years after that.... photo 44fcb3ac-18c4-4dfd-bf38-d324f956cf75.jpg      photo c2781653-fea8-4141-8cac-f0889127d077.jpg  I could not be happier. 

Aydenzmoma
on 10/26/11 6:25 am - ME
RNY on 01/04/12
 Stella, 
Well what I told my other half was that the skin won't kill me, being this big will. I know it won't be a walk in the park, but at least I will be healthy.  Congrats on your health!    I hope to be healthy some day soon!  

Katy~~
It's never too late to figure out your purpose and start to live your best life."
    Goodbye 280's, 270's, 260's,250's,240's,230's,220s,210s,200s,190s,180s,170s,                    
HW 283/ SW 269/ CW 160/ GW 120

Most Active