Wedding Dress Shopping Post-Op

Sweet_56
on 1/1/12 4:02 pm - Saskatchewan, Canada

I have found this to be a very frustrating time in my planning process... My Fiancé and I are eloping to ***** Cana in the Dominican Republic. We are getting married February 20th. I was stuck in a bit of a stall that has finally broke, but now I don’t know what to do about getting the dress.  I went from a snug 32 just 3 months ago to fitting into a 24w wedding dress.  I’m a bit of a panicky person and I don’t want to wait much longer to get the dress, but I also need this dress to fit me at the wedding on Feb 20th and I need it to fit a month later at our reception when we return home... Being from Saskatchewan there are not a lot of Plus Size dresses. I’m thinking of going South of the Border with my mom to find the perfect dress. Maybe Las Vegas... (They must have a lot of plus size dresses/shops?)

Does anyone have advice?!

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers 
My Video Log...  Follow as this Fat Canadian Shrinks!! 
www.youtube.com/user/TheShrinkingCanadian

talula216
on 1/1/12 8:39 pm - RI
RNY on 01/16/12
Congratulation on your up coming Wedding.  If it were me I would get the dress to fit me now, 
wait as long as you can to get the dress altered.  You may have to have the dress altered again for your reception later.  Good luck it so much fun wedding dress shopping.

Talula
Starting weight 369

Lucky2talk2
on 1/2/12 4:45 am - Renton, WA
CONGRADULATIONS!! This has been on my mind to.....I am engaged also... Although our wedding is not until 07/04/12 I am wondering how or when to go about dress hunting since I still am losing. I have no idea what size I will be....but do not want to wait to long and not be able to get my dress?? I have not even looked because I want to know where I am at in weight first?

If I were you since your wedding is next month, get it to fit and then have it altered if needed. However obviously I am not experienced....

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

Brenda C.
on 1/2/12 10:52 am
Okay, a couple thoughts... There are many catalogs to consider, and one thought, are you in any social groups within the "BBW Community"?  Support groups also may have other members who have clothing - yes, even dressy clothing - that they could offer. 

My best friend's first & third wedding (sigh), I had to do the alterations for her, as very few large size clothiers seem to understand we are built differently than just adding inches all over.  Do you have the capability to take in any clothing?  Are you looking for something to hold onto (a keepsake)?  Are you also considering how HOT it is in the Dominican??? You will want to choose wisely, or suffer sweat stains...

Are you close enough to cross the Border into a nearby American State?  I have friends in British Columbia who come down routinely, and I scout out stores all the time.  Another idea - post on Craigslist looking for your dress -- you may meet someone wonderful who can help you look FABULOUS on your special day!

As for fitting a month later -- no guaranty!!!  But, isn't that a good thing?  Las Vegas, to my knowledge, does have stores, they actually host a yearly BASH for the BBW Community.

Wishing you good luck & many happy years!!!
Brenda : )~
J J the Jet Plane
on 1/5/12 3:47 am
Almost all the bridal shops carry size 22/ 24 except the Vera Wang types.  However most places will have to order you the dress.  Honestly I would consider two dresses.  You will be in two environmentally different places correct? 

www.sydneyscloset.com  has some choices right away.  There are also places like www.onestopplus.com , Macys, JCPenny, White House/Black Market that have online selections you could get asap.  Find a dress you love and then find a local tailor who can alter it to what you need a few weeks before.  

Most bridal shops will need a longer time for ordering.  Some are 6 months!
Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for! How Exciting!
JJ 

bdocker
on 1/6/12 4:31 am
Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I was a VERY plus size bride when I got married in 2004. There was a fabulous place in PA that had several plus size options. My dress at the time was a 32. It was gorgeous. I can send you wedding pictures if you PM me.

Having helped out with a lot of weddings (I was once a wedding photographer) I have a few suggestions for you.

1. Decide how formal of a dress you want. They made some great points that it may be quite warm where you're getting married. 2. After you make this decision you should decide on a style. A line, princess cut etc. It'll depend on your body shape and how you are losing.
3. Now that you are down to a 24 you need to do your research! Usually around Feb David's Bridal in the states has clearance wedding dresses. You may be lucky enough to try one on and walk out with a very good priced dress!

I have other tips but am at work so have to keep this short.

Best of luck to you!!!
Brenda~
Autumn Jensen
on 1/16/12 7:54 am - Lind, WA
RNY on 03/06/12
I WENT TO CATHERINES HERE IN WASHTINGTON STATE. THEY SPECIALIZE IN PLUS SIZE WEDDING DRESSES. I HAPPENED TO FIND THEM ON THE INTERNET AND WILL DO SO AGAIN IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO. THEY WERE VERY KIND AND THEY ALTERED MY DRESS FOR ME. PLUS THEY WORK WITH YOU FOR A BUDGET. MY BUDGET WAS 400 DOLLARS. THE ORIGINAL PRICE OF MY DRESS WAS AROUND 900. MY MOTHER BOUGHT THE DRESS FOR ME. IT WAS 450 AND THEN SHE PAID 212 FOR ALTERATIONS. I GOT MY VAIL THERE TOO FOR 20 BUCKS.
HOWEVER OR WHATEVER YOU DECIDE, I'M HAPPY FOR YOU.  I WOULD GET THE DRESS TO FIT NOW AND THEN ALTER FOR RECEPTION.

Most Active