Starting to be scared!

Cheryl K.
on 3/6/12 12:59 am - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
Good Morning!

I am starting to get scared.  I am a self pay going to Mexico to have the RNY.  I feel like this is my last chance.  I have a BMI of 74 and that really scares me becuase I know it is risky.  Then to top it off, I am a revision from a Lapband that I had done 5 years ago.  I am so excited to start my new life, but am so afraid of failing.  I have very little success with the lapband.  My surgery date is March 30th, if anyone has any words of wisdome I would love to hear it.

Cheryl

InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/6/12 1:17 am
The good news is that it seems like MOST folks aren't successful with the LapBand, and the better news is that LOTS of people are successfully with RNY.

You have a much greater chance of not only losing the weight but keeping it off with RNY.

My recommendation is to lose as much now as possible. I put myself on a protein shake for breakfast, 100cal almonds for snack, another P. shake for lunch and then a low carb meat and veggie dinner. I lost 8 BMI points in 3 months doing that.

You've got 3 and 1/2 weeks, you could easily drop a few points and get your liver as small as possible for surgery.

Glad to hear that you're doing what needs to be done for your health.

Good Luck,
:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Cheryl K.
on 3/6/12 2:16 am - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
Thank You Danni,

I am starting the pre op diet tomorrow.   Thanks for your encouraging words.  I am so happy I have made this choice.  I have wanted to do this for the past 15 year, but never thought it would happen do to the cost and my insurance has a written exclusion for anything to do with weight loss.  So came the research to have it done in Mexico.  I feel good about the Doctor and have been told good things about him.  I have made this choice for myself and my family.  I want to be around for a very long time and be healthy and enjoy life.

Cheryl :

talula216
on 3/6/12 1:22 am - RI
RNY on 01/16/12

Hi Cheryl

Good luck with you up coming surgery.  I am 7 weeks post op and its the best thing I ever did.  I am so happy.  If you do what your surgeon says follow the rules you will do great.  I also had a fear of not losing after going through all this. I can say the weight is falling off.  I dont find it a struggle to follow my meal plan.  You will do great.

Talula
Starting weight 369

Cheryl K.
on 3/6/12 2:19 am - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
Thanks Talula,
So happy for you.  I look so forward to weight falling off.  I just want to feel good.  I  want to sit in a chair that has arms.  I want to play in the park with my son.  I want to just enjoy all that life has to offer.  

Best wishes!

Cheryl

jstigall
on 3/6/12 10:01 pm - Hilliard, OH
Oh and by the way you will love the new Hospital you have private rooms that are HUGE two coaches two TVs and a refridgerator for your spouse to use (They don't have a kitchen ready yet.) Relax and enjoy your trip Let me know when you get back

Cheryl K.
on 3/8/12 4:59 am - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
Yay!!  Sounds great!  :-)

I will give updates while I am gone.

Cheryl

Brenda C.
on 3/6/12 6:24 am
Hey Cheryl,

My BMI was 74.4, and I had RNY.  Although I had my surgery in The States, if you did your homework, the surgical center you are going to will be TOP NOTCH.  Many friends of mine have gone to Mexico, and they all came home fine.  The one thing that the Mexico Experience lacked, follow up care.  

One of my best buddies - whom I met through my support group - needed a primary doctor who will work with Gastric Patients - and I have the BEST doc around!!!  Ask around, meet with docs if you can -- one that has experience working with Gastric Patients.

I am 15 months out, have lost a total of 177 pounds - but some of it has been from my panniculectomy (I'm still swollen, so I am only done 12 pounds from the 19 they removed).  I didn't have scary issues, I did have a hernia repair blowout, but I made it through the whole process & I am doing great!

Trust your gut, you chose who your chose for a reason, right?  They have surely had hundreds, if not thousands, of patients before.  Stay positive!!!

Brenda : )~
Cheryl K.
on 3/8/12 5:06 am - Hoquiam, WA
RNY on 03/30/12 with
Brenda,

Thank you so much for the advise and positive feedback.  I am feeling much better about all of it today.  And love that I have found this message board.  Some people don't understand the fear that goes along with having a really high BMI.  The people on this board have been amazingly supportive.  I look forward to talking to you all and following in your footsteps to the other side.

Cheryl

jstigall
on 3/6/12 9:59 pm - Hilliard, OH
Don't be afraid relax believe me Dr Joya is very good. My wife and my sister in law just returned from there last Sunday my wife had the RNY and sister in law had the sleeze done the same day Tuesday afternoon and by Saturday they were both walking around town seeing the sites. Tell Natalie we said hi and smile everything will be fine. This makes are third weight loss surgery with them in my family and every one of them have been with any complications.

Most Active