high iron level(FE)

julesiglow
on 3/20/12 3:51 am - Vidalia, GA
Hi    I have a question...I have been on the board for the last 3 year.. I had RNY surgery in April 2010 so it has been 2 years come April.... I get blood work done like I am suppose too..Well I got my blood level back and they said my iron level is 400..... it was 200 six moth ago..so my level is high..what does it mean and how do you change it to lower.... 
on a side note  I have lost 300 lbs.....  
Thanks for any information you can help me with

Finding the Light one day at a Time

theshrinkingmimi
on 3/20/12 5:28 am
Did you ask the doctor?  Did you search the internet?  Do you eat a lot of red meat? Do you have symptoms?

I've never heard of this before. I hope you figure it out.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Lucky2talk2
on 3/20/12 7:22 am - Renton, WA
I wish I had an answer for you regarding your iron levels. Yes, I am thinking that your doctor would ha be been one to ask. Did he mention it was to high?

As far as CONGRADULATIONS!!! You have done fabulous!!! Things must be so wonderfully different for you now!! Each day having lost so much weight I find something to be even more thankful
For having lost so much weight!!

Keep popping in here and sharing your story. It is very inspiring and can help keep focussed.

Hugs,
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

julesiglow
on 3/20/12 7:47 am - Vidalia, GA
My weightloss Dotor's office called me and told me to get a hold of my general doctor so that is what I am doing...I have appointment on Monday with general doctor. No I do not eat a lot of meat maybe 3 times a week. All of my other levels are good. Like good and bad cholesterol are great. Good is 79 and other is 169.....Just looking for ideas...
Thanks
Brenda C.
on 3/20/12 12:40 pm
On March 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM Pacific Time, julesiglow wrote:
My weightloss Dotor's office called me and told me to get a hold of my general doctor so that is what I am doing...I have appointment on Monday with general doctor. No I do not eat a lot of meat maybe 3 times a week. All of my other levels are good. Like good and bad cholesterol are great. Good is 79 and other is 169.....Just looking for ideas...
Thanks
Okay, there is a genetic condition known as Hemochromatosis - or High Iron in blood.  Is there any Northern European connection in your family tree?  Most the cases I have read about - Hemochromatosis - RNY usually resolves after surgery.  I am a carrier, but not full blown, but I have an uncle who has blood drawn & dumped a few times a year.  Blood Donation is a GREAT idea for you -- in my LAY opinion.

Are you taking a lot of supplements?  Cutting back is your best bet.  Donating or "dumping" blood is the ONLY known ways of resolving Hemochomatosis, so definitely ask your doc.  The test to see if you have/are a carrier is a simple blood test.  You are far enough "out" to be considered a blood donor, and with YOUR levels, you may be allowed to donate twice (or more) a year.  Most folks after Weight Loss Surgery have to wait a year before donating blood.  It has to do with how fast we rebuild platelets.

Make SURE to keep on this, as having high iron in your blood is NOT ideal.  It can cause problems on your organs -- but KNOWLEDGE is key!!!

Hope this helps - and please, I am interested, let me know what they end up saying!
Brenda : )~
(I am second Gen American - Family hails from Northern Ireland)
BiscuitNYC
on 3/24/12 9:12 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
 Have you changed supplements?  Menopause?  
Most Active