I really hate exercise

CatahoulaLover
on 3/26/12 3:28 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
So I started going to the gym a few years ago with my ex because we were going to lose weight together. So I went. I started in the pool just walking and then went to swimming and then on to the treadmill and the weights.

Thing is, I hate it. People always say "oh once you start you will love it!"  But the fact is, I hate it. I really hate it. I have to force myself to go and I only go cause I paid for the membership and if I could get away with not going I would no go. Why? Because I hate it.

I don't know what it is I really hate. Maybe just the effort. Sure once I get into the pool it's fine but there's the whole process of getting to the gym, getting changed in the gym (sorry about your eyes people), getting into the pool and hoping that no one really notices the whale that just got into the pool.  Then once I'm done it's the whole process of getting out. Gravity reasserts itself and my joints definitely feel it. Then showering and struggling with my tent of a suit to get it off me and wring it out. Then to slog into the dressing room to get dressed and hoping my towel (bring my own) covers me enough and no one is violated by my fat butt.

That's just the pool part of it.

The treadmill ugh. Part of it is that my left knee is really bad from the RA and previous injuries like falling. So I dread the pain. Second I have to hold the railing because my balance is off and all I hear the whole time I'm on the treadmill is people telling me that I'm not doing any good holding on while I walk. (Yes thank you but I don't have enough balance on my own to walk on the treadmill without holding on.) I slog through my 3 mile walk sweating like a wildebeest being chased by lions. I don't sweat, I freaking flood. I inherited my dad's sweat glands I guess and when we do exercise of any kind we look like we went swimming. 

Then when I stop the treadmill I always have to get my land legs back and I walk around weird for a few minutes. The resistance training isn't too bad. I have a trainer that comes and makes sure I don't do it wrong but I just feell awkward squeezing myself into some of these machines or trying to sit on the little benches. SIGH.

I don't like exercise. It doesn't get easier, it doesn't get better, I don't get a high off of it. I just don't want to do it.

And that's my rant.
acbbrown
on 3/26/12 4:03 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Honestly, as you lose weight, it gets better. At least it did for me. I refused to even do the pool for a long time bc of similar feelings, but eventually I got over it. 

I don't know if I'll ever get a high from exercising in a gym - I hate the gym and it's boring. Give me a tennis court, a bike ride or even a walk outside, and I enjoy it much more. I dont get an endorphin high like some people say but I feel great about having the freedom to do those things that I never could have at 420lbs. 

Theres going to be a lot of things we dont like to do but we have to - exercise is one. Try different things - there's no rule that says exercise only happens in a gym. There are tons of other options. Hopefully you'll find some thing along the way that you enjoy. Just take it slow, don't push too hard right now, and keep track of your progress. My first full mile took me 30 min - now, 2 years later, I can do a mile under 12 min. I kept a log so when I feel depressed, I can go back and look and see how far I've come (independent of the scale). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Elaine2
on 3/26/12 4:39 am - Atlanta, GA
 Sorry--but I had to go back and re read for a great laugh. Lots of folks say they hate exercise and don't give allot of detail. At least you know exactly why you hate it!

I think you hit the nail on the head---it's the effort to get there. Every morning I have that thought---Do I really want to go? but leave and hit that treadmill then pool. Hate the treadmill, love the pool.

I noticed on vacation---I looked forward to the exercise---just an elevator ride down to the sunshine...plus I could spend the day there. No car ride--no locker room--no tiny shower stall, etc.

I would suggest trying different classes like yoga, Pilate's, Zumba... to see if there is something more tolerable for you. Notice---I didn't say THAT YOU WOULD LIKE.

You've just gotta do it! Keep at it. The results are worth it!

CatahoulaLover
on 3/26/12 4:50 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
The problem with Yoga and Pilates is that I have to get down on the floor. Once I get there I may not get up again. See I can't put any pressure on my knees. It pushes the joint out of place and then I can't stand. Sad I know. I always worry about falling, not only because I fall hard but then I worry about how I'm going to get back up. I can't even crawl because the pressure on my knees is excruciating.

And I tried Zumba but to be perfectly honest I was way too self conscious about how I look to keep doing it. The classes they have are full of these skinny people and I just look like the Rhino among the Ibis. Maybe aftger surgery and I lose I will feel better about going.

Til then I will just slog along. I still go, I just hate doing it.

theshrinkingmimi
on 3/26/12 5:16 am
Wow. I believe you. I really believe you.

Is there anything that you like to play or dance to XBOX or one of those video game things? I know you paid for the membership, but mall walking is free. Would that work?

You may never love it, but as your weight goes down, the pain should lessen- I hope. That would seem to make it more tolerable.

Again, wow. That was a really good rant.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
CatahoulaLover
on 3/26/12 5:30 am - Kent, WA
VSG on 07/20/12
I only have  computer games but I do have this Jillian Michaels workout dvd. Ok so here's the honest truth. I just hate working out. So I popped in that video thinking somehow I would be motivated and YES I WOULD DO THIS.

I did once.

It's still sitting on top of the tv.

I know, I'm horrible. LOL

I do walk the dog everyday so I get exercise that way but the gym is kind of forces me to do it. It's the albatross around my neck but I know I need to do it.  I also don't know any other way to work on my core muscles. I don't have enough room at home to get weight equipment and even if I had it I suspect it, like my treadmill, would end up doing things like holding up my hanging plants in winter.

Somehow I just can't be motivated at home to really want to work out. Maybe if my City Of Heroes was interactive and I had to run irl in order to get places I would like it better. But probably not.

Really I'm being honest. I just don't wanna exercise at all. I'm lazy. It's easier to sit in my chair with my feet up and watch a movie. And more rewarding, at least mentally. Doesn't do my butt any good though. :-)
InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/26/12 6:57 am
Here's a quick rundown on my experience.

390lbs. decide on surgery, better get working- head to local pool and start swimming. Sign up at gym, start walking on the treadmill and using some machines (sparingly). Hate all the same things that you do- esp how winded I get on the treadmill...ugg.. not a happy camper, but I keep going.

Surgery 340- can't do much more than walk up and down the block for a couple months (granted I lived on a hill).

290- 3months after surgery, I'm jogging, holycrap! This is getting easier, I'm swimming faster. Going to gym isn't so bad.

250- Man I could spend 3 hours at the gym. I love the elliptical machine, and the free weights! Still swimming and now I'm passing people- hmm...not too shabby.

200- I'm taking this outside too, hey I can ride a road bike 5miles, then 10, then 20...this is enjoyable.

190- I can ride my bike for over 100miles in one day, I can swim a 500 without stopping, I can jog a 5k... THIS IS FUN!!!

Don't get me wrong, there are many days that I don't want to go workout, but once I do- I almost never regret it. In fact, if I don't get to workout when I've planned it- I'm a cranky biatch, just ask my poor wife!

Hope that helps, basically, the more you workout, the more fit you will be and the more you will enjoy it!

Good luck- I know it is not easy.

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Brenda C.
on 3/27/12 2:29 am
On March 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, InkdSpEdTchr wrote:
Here's a quick rundown on my experience.

390lbs. decide on surgery, better get working- head to local pool and start swimming. Sign up at gym, start walking on the treadmill and using some machines (sparingly). Hate all the same things that you do- esp how winded I get on the treadmill...ugg.. not a happy camper, but I keep going.

Surgery 340- can't do much more than walk up and down the block for a couple months (granted I lived on a hill).

290- 3months after surgery, I'm jogging, holycrap! This is getting easier, I'm swimming faster. Going to gym isn't so bad.

250- Man I could spend 3 hours at the gym. I love the elliptical machine, and the free weights! Still swimming and now I'm passing people- hmm...not too shabby.

200- I'm taking this outside too, hey I can ride a road bike 5miles, then 10, then 20...this is enjoyable.

190- I can ride my bike for over 100miles in one day, I can swim a 500 without stopping, I can jog a 5k... THIS IS FUN!!!

Don't get me wrong, there are many days that I don't want to go workout, but once I do- I almost never regret it. In fact, if I don't get to workout when I've planned it- I'm a cranky biatch, just ask my poor wife!

Hope that helps, basically, the more you workout, the more fit you will be and the more you will enjoy it!

Good luck- I know it is not easy.

Dani,

I know it's been weeks since I said this, YOU ROCK!

I have admired you for so long, and love your attitude! You always inspire me to push harder, thank you!!!

Brenda : )-
InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/27/12 1:13 pm
Awww Brenda, that made my day- THANK YOU!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

kam0520
on 3/26/12 8:35 am - AL
We just started at a little small hometown kind of gym so none of that stuff, but I have decided I do not like the eliptical because it kicks my ass and the treadmill sucks too.  It's boring and monotonous.  I am only going to use it for rainy days.  Try just walking at a local park or something, that is much better to me.  I can walk 30 mins at a park no problem where as a treadmill at the same speed I'm good for about 5.  
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Most Active