I had an Adventure!

Elaine2
on 5/2/12 9:00 am - Atlanta, GA
I've been working on this for over 6 months. The first planned date got canceled due to business. So Monday I drove to Charlotte and Tuesday..................................................

ZIP LINE AND CANOPY TOUR

at the US National Whitewater Center.

The zip line is what you would imagine---about 2000 feet of traveling quickly down the line tethered to the overhead wires.  EXCITING!!!!!

But the Canopy Tour was spectacular. There were 14 platforms up in the trees. We zip lined from platform to platform 8 times....then the challenge----unexpected. First a plank bridge between the platforms, then a rope bridge, repel down, climb a cargo net up to the next platform, walk across a swinging 2x8 up to the next platform, another cargo net, zip line and repel down!!!! Then walk about 1/2 mile to the finish uphill. A total of about 3 hours.

Totally exhilarated and exhausted. I pushed it a little too much. A little dehydration (no potty among the trees!). But worth every bucket of sweat I shed. The rope challenges were VERY rough but showed me that I still need to work on endurance and particularly balance. A little lacking there.

A little over 2 years ago I was looking at a wheelchair due to my lack of mobility. It's taken me awhile but this goes to show if an almost 60 year former SMO  (who is still considered obese, damn it) can still plug along towards goal and fitness, we can all get there!

KatCooper
on 5/2/12 10:40 am - Collierville, TN
 WOW!!!  That sounds amazing.  You should be so proud of yourself....I got tired just thinking about climbing a cargo net.  Sounds super cool.  I want to try zip lining, but havent made it yet!  Thanks for the inspiration!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

cfortolson
on 5/2/12 11:26 am - NJ
Congratulations! That sounds so exhilarating! To go from where you were to where you are now is amazing! I am so excited for you!!!!

I told my husband I want to go zip lining. That sounds like that could be a goal to work towards.

What an inspiration!

Christine
acbbrown
on 5/2/12 11:42 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Wow - I have no excuses now!!! I'm thinking of zip lining in Vegas next month :)

What an awesome adventure!!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

WoolyBully
on 5/2/12 7:57 pm - MI
 That is amazing Elaine.

Thank you for this post. Not only is it a great NSV, and I a share your excitement just as a reader, but, I needed it at this moment.

As someone  who is almost 60 also, still obese (Damn it also), and started at the about the same place, I was starting to think I will never get in really good shape. You just  demonstrated that with perseverance it can be done.

Thanks again for the success story, and reminding me it's not about a number on a scale, but about the ability to enjoy life. 

Gary

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/3/12 2:26 am
WOO HOO!!! You are a wild woman- in the BEST way!!! Congrats, that must have been so much fun, I can't wait to go Zip-lining!

I am so impressed by you, wow, just wow!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

bdocker
on 5/3/12 5:20 am
WOW! such an amazing exerpience. Thank you so much for sharing. Hearing this just made my whole day. What sort of crazy adventure is next? And of course I mean crazy as in wonderful and fantastic!

Brenda
Brenda C.
on 5/3/12 7:12 am
DAMN!!!  Girlie, that sounds AMAZING!!!!  Looking forward to my Zip Line Trip in the future ;)

Brenda : )~
Britt_Bearpaw
on 5/3/12 10:04 am
WOW that sounds like so much fun! Congratulations to your new lease on life!!
Elaine2
on 5/3/12 10:40 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey guys
Thanks for all the good words.

For those who want to zip line,go for it---just check out a reputable place----and check the weight limit. It was my fear that they would load me up with all the harnesses and then say....Now, step on the scale!  Wanted to make sure I was well under that number.  It was exhilerating and not really scary! And over very quickly!

I've mentioned before----my life has been on hold for many years while my weight sky rocketed and then WLS and 2 years of losing. I've just decided to start doing things again.

Gary----what you said is true--- "it's not about a number on a scale, but about the ability to enjoy life."

Most Active