So Tell Us About Bikes.........

Elaine2
on 5/15/12 6:17 am - Atlanta, GA
I think I saw posts from at least 3 people who want a bike.

I sure could use a little info. I stopped in a bike shop last week and was really intimidated since I went in armed with 000000 information. I hate that.

Last time I was on a bike it was borrowed from my brother, a 3 speed (which I knew nothing about), a teeny tiny seat and no one ever wore a helmet. So we're talking the early '80s. YIKES.

So if I was looking for a bike (probably used) what would I look for? No plans to race, use it in the mountains, ride with a club. More like neighborhood riding--if that makes sense. Boy's bike vs. girl's bike (do they still make those?) Besides the bike, what else do you need? helmet?

Just looking online, they are fairly expensive, even used.    I'm trying to decide if it's worth the investment.

Any advise?

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/15/12 7:25 am
Sounds like you are looking for a Hybrid bike, they are easier to maneuver than the Cruiser/Comfort bikes. They do have Women's specific bikes for women who are 5"4 and under (smaller handlebars, and such) so if you are in that category, look for one of those. However, if most bikes are unisex and you'll just have to try a few out to see what you like.

You can find some good deals on Cragislist, but there is so much out there, I would find a nice bike shop first. Find out what size you are, and test ride some bikes. Don't spend a ton a money, but yes a quality bike is worth the billz!

Your major need are: helme****er bottle, tire pump, pouch to hold your stuff (cell, wallet, keys) and padded bike shorts. Also, if you are going to ride a lot- you may want to learn how to change a tire and buy some tubes to do so. Otherwise you can just use the cell phone to call someone to take you to the bike shop (my wife uses this method!).

If you find that you like it, there are lots and lots of accessories, but if you are just going around the hood- they won't be necessary.

I hope you find something that you like, cuz riding a bike is just pure joy!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Elaine2
on 5/15/12 8:29 am - Atlanta, GA
Danni
Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to study up on Hybrids.
I'm not in that 5'4" group---more like 5'10" with pretty long legs.
And for sure---those padded bike shorts!!!!!

I definitely need to start slow. On quiet streets---I'm a little nervous about riding with traffic. I'm kind of a demon driver but I think a very cautious rider.

InkdSpEdTchr
on 5/16/12 3:25 am
Oh yeah, then you'll def want a "men's" bike, but you might consider getting a road bike. They are awkward at first, but are actually designed to be comfortable. People look at them and think, wow what a odd position, but you can be on one for 7, 8, 9, 10, 20 hours and still be happy if you are fitted to it properly. I love my road bike, my curved handlebars, my clip in pedals- but I didn't at first. It took a few rides, but now I LOVE it!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Nikkal
on 5/15/12 11:46 am
VSG on 07/18/13
 good topic! Vancouver is really bike friendly so if my knees can handle it, I might get one post surgery! Luckily a guy in my office is super knowledgeable about bikes and will help me find one at a reputable shop when the time comes.

haven't been on a bike since the 70s!

Most Active