Hello!

Nicole E.
on 7/1/13 2:35 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

Hi! I've been lurking on this forum for months and I finally decided to post.

My name is Nicole and I'm a 25 year old who currently weighs in at 343 pounds.  My BMI is currently 49.2, but it was 53 at my highest weight (366). (I lost most of the weight from my highest on my pre-op diet) My BMI has been in the 50s for at least six years--on and off due to my yo-yoing weight.

I am awaiting a decision from my insurance company at the moment and hope things go smoothly. :) I should have a decision by the 11th. I have been obese all of my life (I was 200 pounds by age 6) and have no idea what it's like to be thin. I think it's going to be an amazing experience.

I just wanted to say that I am very appreciative of the posts here! I feel like I'm among people who understand what it's like to be at this weight. I was beginning to feel frustrated after only fiding people who weigh in extremely close to my goal weight or people who talk about having to gain weight to have the surgery. I just can't relate to them on as many levels as I do with someone who has a lot of weight to lose.

I do have a question, though. Are there any others in this forum having the Duodenal Switch? That's what I'm planning to have.  If not, I do hope my experiences with the surgery will inspire someone else. I know all of your experiences have inspired me to keep on trucking when I felt like giving up. Thank you all so much!

zra
on 7/1/13 3:11 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

Welcome! My highest was 363, so I know where you're starting from. I had the sleeve, so I can't speak to the DS experience. But, I hope you get your approval soon! Good luck!

HW: 363  SW: 340  

Nicole E.
on 7/1/13 5:15 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

Thank you! It's nice to see someone who nearly had the same starting weight. :)

Your progress is very inspiring. Keep up the great work.

Lisa1023
on 7/1/13 3:54 am
VSG on 03/05/13

oh NIcole.  I too was overweight my whole life.  I was 100 pounds at age 7, and believe me that is really bad.  I'm so sorry you were 200 by age 6.  My 5 yr old is 35 pounds, your past breaks my heart.

Congrats on pursuing surgery while you're still so very very young and able to enjoy so many years at a healthy, confidence-building size.  You're very smart!

My fingers and toes are crossed that you hear something back SOON from insurance.

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

Nicole E.
on 7/1/13 5:14 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

Aw, thank you. It was a definite struggle to be so heavy as a kid. I was also really tall and physically mature for my age due to some bad hormonal issues, so I was basically a moving target for insults. I've thankfully put most of the pain I felt from teasing at that age through high school behind me and feel I'm a better person because of my experiences. It's part of the reason why I chose to pursue a career in Social Work/Human Services.

I'm glad I have the opportunity to pursue this surgery at a younger age as well. I was actually scheduled for a RNY at age 20, but insurance denied it. I was crushed then, but am very happy it happened now. I wasn't mature enough to handle the responsibility of taking vitamins and watching my diet and would have probably regained most of my weight--or worse. I feel like I'm far more mature and informed about my health nowadays. It's scary to see how much I've grown in five years--or at least how much I think I've grown. :)

Thanks! I'm trying to not pull out my hair at the moment over the insurance thing, haha. I meet all of the criteria and all I can do is hope for the best.

KendraB1
on 7/1/13 5:50 am - DE
RNY on 11/05/12
Hi, Im Kendra. Had surgery in Nov 2012 @ 25. So happy I did it. Was 364 lbs on surgery day.
Nicole E.
on 7/2/13 2:29 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

I'm happy to see someone around my age. I'm glad choosing to have wls (especially around our age) has worked out well for you. Congrats!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/1/13 11:05 am
Welcome!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Nicole E.
on 7/2/13 2:27 am - Houston, TX
DS on 08/15/13

:) Thank you.

acbbrown
on 7/1/13 11:23 am - Granada Hills, CA

Welcome. I dont see too many people with the DS posting here, but the DS forum is pretty active if you havent checked it out. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active