Who Am I?

sarahpillars2728
on 7/11/13 12:23 pm - MI

I have been asking myself this question alot lately. I am starting this journey and it is so hard to focus on fixing me when I have spent my life helping others and putting them ahead of me. I was told today that I need to think of myself as a warrior and that I need to fight to the finish that this is not gonna be hard and yes right now it is so very confusing and overwhelming. I need to take one day at a time, instead of thinking so far ahead, its hard when u look in the mirror and all u wanna see is instant results, I suffer from very bad self esteem and self worth so even looking in the mirror or complimenting myself is so hard. I thought I did good getting some groceries today even opting for the lighter of some of the brands I normally get and then I read the labels and it has  more sugar and sodium, things like this are frustrating but its all part of this learning experience I just need to embrace it instead of trying to figure out an easy way or looking for an easy button!!! I however am making slow strides, I have started wearing my sleep apnea mask again, which is a plus I felt alot more rested today, still cannot get myself to keep it on all night I don't know if that will ever happen....anyway I hope to know who I am by the end of this journey and to understand why I was sent on this path and where I am supposed to b...thanks for listening to my rant I really appreciate it!!!

Lisa1023
on 7/11/13 8:38 pm
VSG on 03/05/13

Sara, I'm 84 pounds down since last fall and no one notices.   Ignore the mirrors.  What WILL happen is you will start to physically FEEL better way, way , wayyyyy  long before you start to see the physical changes.  The NSVs, not getting winded, not getting sweaty , noticing it's not as tight a fit in XXX seat.   the surgery is worth it.  We are too far gone for the weigh****cher thing and the ability to "put our dietting off for a day, weekend, etc" for  "uncle joe's wedding" or  "Sally's communion"  or mom's birthday dinner and cake.  

Surgery will change your life.  I hope you get it soon.

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

KittyKarin
on 7/11/13 10:14 pm - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi Sarah!

I totally get what you're feeling.  I felt like this at the end of last summer, living in a new city and feeling isolated and horrible about myself.  That's when I started the process again to get my surgery.  I also had to take back focus onto myself and start doing things that were good for me not just convenient for everyone else.  I HATED looking in the mirror and was never nice to myself. The person I saw in the mirror wasn't me. I knew what I looked like in my head and the mirror didn't reflect that... it was a really painful time for me.

But you are on the right path! Like the previous poster said, we are too far gone to just start another diet on Monday.  I literally can't count how many diets I have tried.  Weigh****chers should have a frequent joiner club cus I would have been in it. Every medical weight loss program in my old city has a file on me. I hit rock bottom and I couldn't do it by myself anymore. But with the surgery, I have been able to stick with it and I am trying desperately to change my whole attitude about food and weight.  I like who I see in the mirror now and you will start to see who you really are.

It is definitely a process but a really worthwhile one.  It goes faster than you think it will if you really dedicate yourself.  Congrats on taking the steps to get this done and become healthier.  I really hope you keep going and can get the surgery to help you reset and start to figure out who you really are are the inside. Take care!

Karin

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Nikkal
on 7/12/13 2:05 am
VSG on 07/18/13
I started asking this question a few years ago, when a friend suggested I should maybe see a therapist about my food issues. I knew what to do, how to do it, yet I WASN'T DOING IT. (In my mind that qualified as an eating disorder). For all that I hadn't tried much to lose weight, when I did try, it failed.

One of the things I realized was that I had labelled myself as 'a fat person'. Not my defining characteristic - I had & still have good self-esteem, but that had become an immutable characteristic - as fixed as my quirky sense of humour or my skepticism.

But it wasn't. I refused to accept the label of 'disabled' (I prefer 'handicapped', but that's a different rant), but I'd accepted 'fat', even though neither of those were immutable. Once I realized that, and changed my mindset, EVERYTHING ELSE CHANGED. Not overnight, but wow, did things change.

Not saying this necessarily, absolutely applies to you, but it was an epiphany. I think it's helpful to explore who we really think we are, deep down.
Most Active