Just scheduled my VSG

TheDeathStar
on 9/25/13 3:16 am
VSG on 10/29/13

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum. I previously believed I was going to be getting a Duodenal Switch, but my surgeon made me confident that the VSG would be the way to go for me. I am a little nervous because I don't see a lot of people with high BMIs like me getting a VSG. I am going to be 30 years old soon, and I have relatively few health problems other than just being really, really heavy. My BMI is 68. Has anyone else with a high BMI had good results with a VSG?

Thanks!

Nikkal
on 9/25/13 3:22 am
VSG on 07/18/13
I started at 62, was 46 on day of VSG surgery and am 40 now.

I know others started heavier than me, but I don't know what their BMI was.
TheDeathStar
on 9/26/13 8:44 am
VSG on 10/29/13
You've dropped so much in so short a time! Well done!

Nikkal
on 9/29/13 2:20 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
It took 18 months to lose 100 lbs pre surgery, now I've lost between 35-40 lbs since surgery on July 18. Not super fast, I've stalled a lot - but I'm happy
mickeymantle
on 9/25/13 3:37 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i started with 72 was down to 64 for the surgery and have lost around 40 lb since surgery  2 month ago , I eat 4 oz of protein and a little veggies with each meal , I eat between 500- 700 cal a day and try for 80 gm protein a day and 64 oz water 

I never have been sick and only problem was some constipation from to many calcium pills (I misread the dose)

I am rarely hungry only at meal times and a few oz of protein fills me for 3-4 hours , I need to eat by the clock or I would miss meals

My surgeon had a patient that was over 900 lb and lost most of the weight with the vsg , he says it is a lot safer than the rny for heavy weights, he does the rny but not the ds , he says there is to many problems with the ds and the sleeve will work with most people and the newest data is showing about the same weight loss just a little slower

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

TheDeathStar
on 9/26/13 7:26 am
VSG on 10/29/13
71dart
on 9/25/13 8:16 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
I was originally going to have RNY but my surgeon convinced me VSG was safer in my specific situation. My BMI was north of 70.

I'm thankful we went that way. My life has changed dramatically. I am very happy.

My weight loss has been steady. My eating behavior is improved. It's not been easy, but possible.

Tom

TheDeathStar
on 9/26/13 7:27 am
VSG on 10/29/13

Thank you for your response. I was worried because you don't hear of a lot of BMI 50+ people getting only the VSG. I see a lot of RNY and a few DS but I was worried because I didn't have any good examples of people who were big like me succeeding with a VSG. I'm feeling much better now!

Nikke2003
on 9/26/13 12:32 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I had a BMI of 63 when I started the supervised diet. Got it down to 50 when I had surgery and I'm now at about a 34? It's definitely possible to lose a lot with the VSG and we are out here! There are others (in addition to those that replied on this thread) that have lost hundreds with the VSG - acbrown, sleevegirl, jimbovsg, pinkjellybean!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

TheDeathStar
on 9/26/13 7:27 am
VSG on 10/29/13

Thank you so much for your response. I was really worried because I don't hear a lot about VSG being used on people who are heavy like me. I'm feeling much better now!

Most Active