Chairs with arms--I no longer fear you!

jenorama
on 4/6/14 2:56 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

So six months out from surgery, I'm just about 100 lbs down from my highest pre-surgery weight. This is going from a BMI of 53.5 to 39. I don't really have any co-morbidities, so it's funny to think that I don't meet my insurance requirements any more!  

One thing I am super thrilled about is that I no longer have to eyeball the chairs in an establishment and hope there's one without arms. Going to theater shows, movies, restaurants...so awesome. Even sitting in my car is more comfortable. 

I had to travel to China for business and even though business class is more generously proportioned, I know I would have been uncomfortable a year ago. Also, I would have eaten the nuts, the starter, the salad, the entree, the cheese and crackers and the sundae dessert!

I'm glad I finally made the decision to go through all the hoops and bother for surgery. I'm really looking forward to an amazing summer. 

Jen

Gwen M.
on 4/6/14 3:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is super awesome!  One of the "final" straws in my decision to have surgery was that I was tired of being completely uncomfortable sitting at my parents' kitchen table in those stupid chairs with arms that they've got.  I can't wait to feel comfortable at that table!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

atia
on 4/6/14 10:59 am - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

I had to laugh because I still find myself wondering if im going to fit in this/on that, will it break etc.  I had my grand baby the other day and decided this summer I want to take him go carting...he's only 3 so he'd have to ride with me or my husb.  I asked my husband if Id fit in a go cart let along have room for my grand baby.  He kinda looked at me side ways.  Well hell how would I know??? Having surgery at 350, and being around 175 now, I still feel 350.  So, does anybody know if id even fit???

Congrats and keep going forward. 

tia

jenorama
on 4/6/14 5:00 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Haha, yes!  I find myself wondering the same thing sometimes!  The thing that gets me is when we go out to eat, I'll wonder if what I'm ordering will be enough and then end up not eating half of it. A couple of months ago, my husband and I went to Sizzler and I ordered the Malibu chicken (bad idea. We are no longer friends!), without the salad bar and I actually thought, "Will I have enough to eat?" Foolish child! 

Jen

smk920
on 4/6/14 11:13 am
VSG on 05/06/14

That is awesome! Congratulations!  

44 y/o f 5'5" HW:330 consult:322 SW:285 CW:248 goal:14O

71dart
on 4/7/14 6:00 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

To this day is still calculate if I can fit in a chair or if it will hold me up.  Now my math is faulty; I'm still figuring for 555 lbs. not 260.  I still panic a little when I go in a restaurant, but it's getting better. 

jenorama
on 4/7/14 11:33 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Oh my goodness!  You've come such a long way!  I imagine it'll take a while for your brain to catch up, but I'm sure it will happen and you won't even notice right away. :D

Jen

mobailey68
on 4/8/14 9:13 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Jenorama,

Your post made me smile. I went to the movies this last Saturday and when I sat down and pulled the arm rests down they didn't hit my sides. It was a totally weird experience. I kept checking to see if they were actually down. It was an incredible feeling so tonight it is back to the theater to see Captain America.

Mo

HW:332 (12/17/13) SW:282 (2/24/14) GW:132 CW:164 (12/19/14) TWL:168

jenorama
on 4/10/14 4:48 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Right?  Theater seats have long been a problem for me, but no more!  I remember last year in May we were in New York and we got tix for a Broadway matinee (Nice Work if You Can Get It with Matthew Broderick) and while the show was fun, it was a packed house and I was just jammed in my seat like a sardine.  Very distracting!  Also last year, we went to see a concert up at a local winery and again, uncomfortable seats.  At another show, I was glad that one friend couldn't  make it because then I had an empty seat next to me.  It was getting to the point where I would pass up opportunities because I didn't want to be in an uncomfortable position.

This year, I've seen Book of Mormon, concerts in LA, my husband and I are going to see Barenaked Ladies in Reno in a couple of weeks, I have tickets to see Ringo Starr and Queen + Adam Lambert...been to a ton of movies...all with no seat squish!  Best thing ever!

Jen

Most Active