anyone dealing with diabetic neuropathy?

way2kay
on 12/16/11 1:08 pm - Crosby, TX
 i have severe diabetic perepheral neuropathy in both feet...i take gabapentin (neurontin) & cymbalta, but they haven't been as effective since my surgery...i've lost more than 30 lbs since my surgery 3 & a half weeks ago, so i'm trying to walk more (exercise is supposed to be good right?) but i am now in excrutiating pain...any ideas would be appreciated...
Kay

Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another "What! You too?  I thought I was the only one!!"           - C.S. Lewis    
shanti4758
on 12/19/11 12:38 pm
I find that being in the pool and hottub help with pain. Water walking is great.Good luck.
Lacey S.
on 1/1/12 1:31 pm - OR
 I've known a couple of people who've had luck with cymbalta for leg and foot neuropathy.  You might ask your doctor about that, but you have ot make sure not to go off of it or miss a dose cause it can really mess with your head.  I don't know if it's an option for people with gastric bypass though...I'm kinda new to all of this.  good luck.
greatmomof2
on 1/4/12 4:55 am - CA
I had started feeling the tingling even i would feel hot spots in my feet...i had mentioned to my endocrinologists and he suggested to take alpha lipoic(herbal supplement). You can get from any health food store or vitamin shop....i took it and it worked just after a few weeks...i hope it works for you
LosingSally
on 1/12/12 11:43 am
I'm 6 1/2 years out with nornal A1c, but the neuropathy in my feet and toes  remains the same as before surgery...painful!
alexa007
on 1/19/12 7:50 pm, edited 1/19/12 7:50 pm

Diabetic neuropathy is damage to nerves in the body that occurs due to high blood sugar levels. There are many symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Some symptoms are:

1.       Tingling

2.       Numbness (severe or long-term numbness can become permanent)

3.       Burning (especially in the evening)

4.       Pain

valjac50
on 2/3/12 8:13 pm - Lumberton, NJ
I also have the same problem. I am taking oxycodone and ibuprofen prescribed by my neurologist, and cymbalta for depression. He says the only thing that will help me is the surgery, now. But I have other medical issues that are scaring me.

I just found out I have emphysema. And a previous heart cardiomyopathy has returned after 5 years. The chronic foot and ankle pain has forced me to go out on temporary disability until after I have the surgery. But now I am wondering if they will even do it!

You probably will get more relief as you lose more weight, but the nerve damage is something you will have to have your doctor prescribe a better med for. I took gabapentin and vicoprofen, but they didn't continue to work. I since graduated to oxycodone, and it helps immensely. Also, I am on an insulin pump (severe insulin resistance) and it seems to be really helping my sugars with better control. It seems like a combination of things are the answer, if any, to this problem.
Good luck! I will be praying for you.
SavingMyself2
on 3/4/12 10:08 am
 I have been dealing with neuropathy in my feet for 3 years and it started in my hands in December. My doc put my on 75 mg Lyrica daily - it has taken the edge off the pain but I am told it will never completely resolve. The shooting pains in my hands were especially severe, but with the med now it is more like standard arthritis pain and I can deal with it. I wish you the best, know that you are not alone!

rustypete
on 3/29/12 10:43 am - Australia
I was on Lyrica for really bad foot pain, then I got a TENS unit, and I use it for an hour each day. This has reduced the pain to a mere tingle, AND I don't use Lyrica anymore. TENS is the only way to go for me. Google TENS
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 178 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 507 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 859 views